Chapter 46

DIGGY's POV

~A few hours later, Thursday night~

"...going for the lay-up! AND BA-DOW! AYEEE!" Khalil shouts while dancing in place on the floor. He glances back at me for the ump-teenth time tonight. "BOY! DID YOU SEE THAT? Man, I got video game skills!"

"Mhm, the only skills you possess," I respond while writing notes in my notebook while reading my textbook.

"Man, you just hating!" Khalil waves me off.

"On what?" I chuckle and look at him.

"On all of this. You wish you had this much swag!" He says, dusting his shoulders off.

"Yeah, right..." 

Khalil stretches his arms above his head and turns the game system off. "Dig, I've been playing this game for like two hours straight already. Now are you really gonna be doing homework for the rest of the night or can we have some fun?"

"Bro, I told you... I'm trying to pass this semester - how 'bout you?" I raise my eyebrow at him.

"Yeah, but it's the first week back. Homework ain't even that heavy."

"I'm trying to get ahead..."

"Are you sure? Or is there something else you wanna tell me?"

"What do you mean?"

"I'm just saying... maybe you're sticking your nose in all this homework to distract yourself from other things. Like the whole rumor situation." Khalil takes off his cap to scratch his head.

"I'm kinda over that situation now... it's whatever."

"Alright, well, can I make a request?"

"What's that?"

"Can we please go to Chris's party? I really need to burn off all this energy I have instead of sitting in this boring bedroom."

I roll my eyes. "Is that all you can think about? Partying?"

"Uh - yeah! It's senior year, dawg. We gotta finish big!" Khalil shouts while standing up.

"I hear you, man. But I don't know. I don't really feel like being social tonight..." 

"You ain't got to. You can just be my quiet shadow and I'll do all the talking."

"Mmm... how are you gonna convince my mom?"

"Convince your mom? Man, I got that under control. She loves me," Khalil grins.

"That's what you think," I laugh a little.

"So we in or we out? We got like an hour before it starts."

I shake my head and sigh. "Sure, man."

He claps his hands and smiles. "Cool! Lemme call in some reinforcements." He takes out his phone and dials a number.

"Who are you calling?" I ask.

He ignores me and talks on the phone. "Hey, baby. You busy? ... [pause] ... Cool. Me and Dig were about to hit up Chris's party in an hour - you wanna come? ... [pause] ... Okay ... Yeah? Cool! [pause] ... Alright, babe. We'll pick you up in an hour. Wear something sexy. Bye." He hangs up with a smirk.

I tilt my head to the side and glare at him. "Who did you just invite?"

"Becca and Sam. I told 'em we're gonna pick them up at Sam's house and ride together to the party."

"Did you really have to invite Sam?" I groan and close my textbook, sitting upright in my seat at my desk.

"You wouldn't wanna leave a friend hanging, would you?" He asks.