Chapter 39

SAM's POV

It was time for lunch and our teacher dismissed us. Since Becca's class and her locker is on this floor, I plan to meet her at her locker so we can go to lunch together. Other classrooms on this floor were also dismissing students, so the halls quickly became noisier. I pull my phone out of my pocket and check some of my Facebook messages to see if anything is happening.

"Hey!"

I look up from my tiny screen into the eyes of a familiar face.

"Oh. Hey... Julie." I show an awkward smile without any teeth.

"How are you?" She grins.

"Good... you?"

"Pretty good. Didn't think we'd have to come to school today, but... here we are," she laughs a little.

"Yeah..."

"Do you have D lunch?"

"Yeah..." I reply, still wondering why she's even talking to me.

"Nice! So do I!"

"That's great..." I look at my phone again, then look up to see Becca coming towards me. We smile then she acknowledges Julie.

"Hey, Julie. How are you?"

"Good, thanks for asking," Julie replies with a smile. Wow, she seems really happy to be talking to someone. Just wish she would find someone else to talk to...

"Well, see you around." I wave her off as me and Becca head downstairs to lunch. I'm really hungry today.

"Um, do you guys mind if I eat with you?"

Oh no... here we go. Becca reads my facial expression. She knows I don't want anything to do with Julie. But I know that Becca is too nice to say no. UGH.

"Sure. We're teammates after all," Becca replies, referring to them both being on the cheer squad.

"Thank you! You're always so kind."

"No problem."

We head to the lunchroom with Julie right behind us. Entering the cafeteria, I check the calendar on the wall to see what the special is: Country Fried Steak. Yes! I grab a tray as I walk behind Becca and wait in line to get food. It was a Monday, but thankfully it didn't feel too much like one. Classes were going by so fast! So far, there's been no drama either. It kinda feels weird to be without drama...

The line moves quickly and I get a plate of country fried steak with mashed potatoes, corn, and some corn bread! What these lunch ladies know about making good cornbread?! Shoot. Becca picked up her typical salad and an orange. While we got our drinks, I peeped back at Julie -- she got the same meal I got PLUS an apple, an orange, a piece of lemon cake, and Funyons. I laughed a little to myself and then paid for my food. We waited for Julie and then found our usual table where Khalil and Diggy were happily laughing about something. 

Diggy... I still ain't feeling him ever since he ditched me for Julie's butt. It just ain't been the same. Sad, but I'll get over it. At least I found out that him and Jake are on good terms again, but can't say the same for us. We sat down across the table from the guys, Becca in front of Khalil, Julie in front of Diggy, and me in between the girls.

"Hey, papi," Becca croons to Khalil.

"Hey, beautiful." They smile at each other.

"Aww, that's sweet," Julie gushes.

I roll my eyes and start eating my food. Becca looks at Julie and grins.

"Hi, Julie..." Khalil awkwardly says.