Chapter 38

SAM's POV

I roll up into the parking lot and find a space without much snow and ice. This past weekend, New York got hit with a snowstorm that brought 7 inches of snow, but that didn't stop the school district from continuing classes this morning. It didn't stop my mom from forcing me to drive to school today either, and she knows I hate driving in the snow!

I put on my black beanie that says 'DOPE' and zip up my coat, preparing myself for the blast of chilly air waiting outside of my car window. Before I turn off my engine, I grab my phone sitting in the cup holder and check out some missed texts from Mama G and Becca...

MAMA G: Text me when you get to school

I reply,

ME: I'm at school now.

...a few seconds later she responds.

MAMA G: Thank you. Love you! Stay warm and have a great first day back <3

I check the missing texts from Becca. She is complaining about how stupid the city is for not closing schools, and don't they know how dangerous it is outside? And I wish I stayed home today. I start to text her back when I get surprised by a knocking sound on my window. Startled, I turn my head quickly towards the noise and see this girl's face all up in my window cheesing real hard. I roll my eyes, turn off my engine, and get out the car.

"I was just about to text you."

"Man, I'm so mad! I could be sleeping right now but noooo, we had to come to school on the coldest day ever," Becca whines. She was wearing a matching pink hat and mittens which also paired well with her fluffy winter coat that covered her thighs. She was rubbing her arms and shivering.

"We had to come back eventually," I reply.

"Ugh, I can't take it!"

I just laugh as we walk up the hill to the school. It was cold outside, but I'm actually looking forward to today. I can almost smell graduation around the corner. I feel like things are gonna get better this semester.

                                                                                                         ***

I walk into my first class, Spanish 3, once again with Mrs. Raymond. Finding my assigned seat from last semester, I drop my backpack beside the desk and sit back in my chair. The class was pretty full but I noticed Jake, Diggy, and Julie weren't here yet. Not that I care about the whereabouts of the last two mentioned. Since the teacher wasn't in the classroom either, I decided to take a quick nap, so I laid my head down on the table and stuffed my cold hands into my sweatshirt pocket. A few seconds later, somebody tapped my right shoulder. I looked up to see that it was Jake.

"Still taking naps in Spanish, I see..." He smirks.

I sit up in my chair and reply, "That's what class is for. Where did you come from?"

"I've been here. I was just talking to some people in the class."

"Oh." Awkward pause.

Looking around the room making sure nobody was watching, Jake comes closer to me, leaning his arm on the back of my chair, and whispers in my ear, "I missed you."

Feeling myself blush, I gently push him away and look to see if anyone is watching us. Then, I make eye contact with him and say, "We texted each other almost every day since New Year's—"

He interrupts. "I know! But, I haven't seen your face..."

"Take a picture then. You can see me whenever you want," I reply jokingly.