Chapter 73

SAM's POV

~Wednesday, Finals Week~

It's the last week of school, and all of the classes had final exams. Luckily, students didn't have to be in class during the full week. We only have to show up for our classes' selected date and time slots. Mrs. Raymond's Spanish 3 exam is scheduled for Wednesday - today - at 8:00am.

The thought of seeing Jake again after we broke up only a few days ago makes me anxious. I cried my eyes out after it happened. Even though I was the one that decided we weren't gonna work out, I'm still so surprised how fast everything went. One minute we're cuddling on the couch reminscing over high school and the next minute we're arguing over our feelings. And that kiss between me and Diggy... I don't know what to make of it. I told Becca about my breakup with Jake, but I haven't even told her how Diggy kissed me! I'm just hoping that we can forget anything even happened.

I tiptoe into Spanish class, breathing a sigh of relief as I notice I'm one of the first ones there with no sight of Jake or Diggy. I take my seat and glance at the empty seat beside me belonging to Jake. How are we gonna share a seat after what happened? I try to calm my breathing while taking a long drink of water.

"Morning, Sam," Julie takes her seat with a smile on her face. She looks like she had a good weekend. That makes one of us...

"Oh, hey," I reply, clearing my throat.

Julie takes out her pencils, perfectly sharpened, then glances my way. "Is this your first final?"

"Yeah," I nod. "How about you?"

"Same. I have this one and then my writing class later today."

"Cool," I nod while occasionally glancing towards the door and shifting in my seat. Then I see Diggy enter and my heartbeat starts racing as I avoid his eyes. He takes his seat next to Julie as they amicably greet each other.

"You ready for this exam?" He asks.

"100%," Julie giggles. "You ready for our writing exam later today?"

"Yeah. That should be pretty easy, no? We just have to write an essay, and we get two hours to do it."

"I wonder what the topic will be about..."

After a small pause, I hear the sound of his backpack zipping up before he asks: "Hey, Sam. You ready?"

I knit my eyebrows together while biting down on my lip. I nod. "Mhm..."

"How have you been? I tried texting you this weekend but you weren't replying..." He rubs the back of his neck and chuckles. "I started to get worried."

"Oh... uh, my mom is getting us a new phone plan, so our phone wasn't working, like, half the time, and then we had to redownload data and everything. It was annoying..." I lied while fidgeting in my seat. I couldn't tell him that I purposely avoided his messages.

"Oh... okay. It's working alright now?"

"Mhm." I nod and pretend to busy myself at my desk.

Diggy gives me a smirk with no further questions. That's right. He doesn't even know about the breakup either - at least, I don't think he does. I don't think Jake would've told anyone, but you never know.