Chapter 55

JULIE's POV

~Friday, after school~

The week seemed to fly by...

I ended up skipping classes again yesterday because I felt overwhelmed. I didn't feel like seeing Daniel and I also didn't feel like hearing more rude comments about my breakup. The only reason I came to school today was to grab some class notes and library books to help study for the weekend since that's probably all I'll be doing. Luckily, using the excuse that I was sick made my teachers not hate me too much, so they agreed to email me the assignments that were due next week.

I also had to turn in my cheer uniform and gear. 

I hated how I was feeling. I was truly confused why my life seemed to flip upside down so quickly. One moment I was super popular, boys would try to get my attention, and everyone seemed like they enjoyed being around me. Now, I'm just a joke. A friendless joke.

With a huge sigh and a weird feeling in my stomach, I walk into the gym where the cheerleading team is practicing their warm-ups. It feels weird to be around them again. It's only been one week since I was kicked off the squad, but everything feels so distant. I spot Dana, Ladelle, and Becca standing along the sidelines as the other team members warm up. Their heads turn my way as I approach them closer.

As Dana makes eye contact, an evil smirk is on her face. Ugh, why does she look like she's plotting something? I glance at Becca who is leading the team in their warm-ups. She grins at me and I grin back, releasing a huge sigh.

"Julie. What brings you here today?" Dana asks as she looks me up and down.

I take my bag of cheer stuff and set it on the table. "Here's my uniform, my poms, my shoes, and everything else."

"Oh, right. Look at you being on top of your stuff. I appreciate it." She walks over to reach for the bag but stops. "It's all been washed, right?"

I sigh and cross my arms. "Of course."

She gives me a fake smile. "Great. Well... that's all then." She turns her attention back to the squad, pretending to do some work. But I'm not finished yet.

"So that's it? You kick me off the squad for no reason and I'm just supposed to be okay with it? Did you secretly hate me that much? Can you honestly tell me what I did that was so wrong?" I plead with a strong voice. This caught the attention of Becca and other members.

Dana looks amused and walks over to me, guiding me away from the others. "Listen, Julie. Didn't we explain the rules? You were kicked off the team because of YOUR actions. It's simple as that," she says.

"You kicked me off the team because of some rumors. But I didn't do anything!"

"I can understand you're hurt, but what's done is done. It's unfortunate. You were a great addition to our team. But... your time is over, okay?" Dana fake smiles before patting my shoulder and walking away.

What the heck? I ball up my fists, my breathing becoming more rapid. I quickly turn to walk out of the gym, feeling super annoyed and angry.

"Hey, Julie!"

I turn around at the sound of my name. "Becca?"

She looks concerned as she wrings her hands. "Hey, um, I'm sorry. It really shouldn't have ended like this -- I really wish you were still on the team."

I clench my jaw while taking a hard glance back at Dana. "You and me both..."

"I just want you to know that I'm on your side. Even if we can't be cheer buddies anymore, doesn't mean we can't be friends."