Chapter 13

SAM's POV

The school gym was crowded with screaming fans from our school and other local schools. The boys' and girls' varsity basketball teams from Wesley High were both present for the tournament. A row of chairs were lined up on the side opposite from the section of bleachers for the two teams that would compete against each other. 

Looking at my schedule for the tournaments, I saw that our varsity boys will be the first match up against North High School. There were eight schools total in the tournament. Since there are seven matches total and three rounds for an entire tournament, there would be fourteen games going on today. The girls and guys game will switch every other game. It's gonna be a long day.

I had driven myself to the tournament and was waiting for Becca to appear. I was waiting outside the gym when she finally arrived.

"Sam! OMG, you will not believe what happened last night!" Becca shrieked while giving me a huge hug.

"What now?" I asked.

"So, me and Khalil were dancing to a slow song and we were talking for a little bit, then he led me out of the gym and out here in the lobby where nobody was. He was telling me how much fun he was having and told me I was a sweet girl. And then... OH EM GEE. He kissed me!!" Becca screams and I plug my ears. "He really kissed me!! Oh, it was so amazing!"

"It sounds amazing..." I reply with a sigh.

"Eeep!! What about you? How was bestie day yesterday?" Becca asked with a huge smile on her face.

"Ha! It was a joke."

"What do you mean?"

I rolled my eyes and set my basketball bag on the ground. "Diggy decided to ditch me for Julie."

"You're not serious."

"I am. He said she asked him to homecoming. And we saw him at the BBQ restaurant last night. He was kissing Julie."

"Wait, a BBQ restaurant?"

"Yeah. So... Chris and I went to his uncle's BBQ restaurant since Diggy ditched me, and we ended up seeing them there. Like, what are the odds?"

"Oh, I didn't know that. You and Chris?" Becca lifts an eyebrow and grins.

"Yep. Don't read into it too much, okay? But anyway... they kissed. Diggy and Julie."

"Wow. That's messed up, girl. I guess you had an eventful night too..."

"Mhm. And Chris told me something very interesting." I start to tell her what Chris told me but the Wesley High boys' basketball team were arriving. "I can't tell you now. But do you think I can borrow some clothes?"

"You? Wanna borrow clothes from me? Why?" Becca asks, almost laughing.

"Yes, I do. And it's a long story..."

"Well, looks like your date with Chris really changed you, huh?" Becca smirks.

"It was not a date," I aggressively whisper. "We were just getting something to eat."

"Of course, honey," Becca wiggled her eyebrows at me and I hit her in the arm. "Ouch!"

The boys' basketball team and Coach Jerry walk by us heading toward the gymnasium. Coach Jerry gives me a nod and I return the gesture. Near the back of the line, we see the three musketeers: Khalil, Chris, and Diggy. Khalil spots Becca first and flashes a sweet smile. Becca blushes uncontrollably.

"Calm down, girl, you look like a red tamale," I say.

"Whatever."

Me and Diggy catch each other's eye and I can't help but picture him kissing Julie like he did last night. I rolled my eyes in disgust and he shakes his head. The three musketeers walk up to us in the hallway.