Chapter 30

SAM's POV

Great... I love announcements! I thought to myself. Holding my tingly left hand in my right, I follow Diggy into the dining room and sit down in my spot next to my mama. Some folks were still eating; others had already finished their desserts. My mama stood up, allowing everyone at the table to admire her dark blue, silky, laced blouse. Her white pants hugged her thighs. Her rosy red lips parted and a perfectly white smile revealed itself.

"Alright, everyone. I have an announcement to make. Most of you have probably never seen this man ever in your life, and you're probably wondering who he is." She places her hand on Antonio's shoulder. He smiles and looks up at her. "Well, I guess since most of y'all are family, I want you all to know that Antonio and I are actually co-workers..." Everyone's faces looked like they were waiting for her to give the punch line. "And... we just recently started dating."

"How sweet," Sister Wanda croons.

They're dating?

"We've actually been interested in each other for a while, but things weren't able to work out then... but now we're both where we need to be and very happy!"

"How long have you two known each other?" someone asks.

"Uh... ten years?" Antonio looks at my mom and she nods her head, wearing a huge smile.

"Probably a little more than that..."

"How come this is the first time I've ever heard of him?" Mrs. Justine gives my mom the look and she smirks.

"I didn't wanna say anything until it was serious. And like I said, we couldn't really do anything because he was already in a relationship. I was in a relationship, as you all know."

"Yeah. It was not a good time at all," Antonio says with his thick Spanish accent.

"So you guys are serious now?" I manage to ask.

"Yes, honey. I didn't want to keep this from you any longer either," my mama replies.

"Well, I figured something was going on since a strange man was staying the night at our house." Everyone starts to laugh, even though I was being very serious.

"I know, I know..."

"To Martha and Antonio!" Mrs. Justine raises her glass of juice and everyone claps. I'm still not feeling this whole announcement.

"So is that all you wanted to say?" I'm trying so hard not to sound like I have an attitude.

My mom was about to say something to me but Antonio cut her off. 

"Actually, I have an announcement as well." Antonio stands up and looks mom in the eye. "Martha, for these past years that we've known each other, you have been the greatest co-worker and friend that I could have. I can discuss any of my problems with you and you won't judge me or raise your voice; you're such a strong, beautiful woman and very patient. We both been through a lot with our past relationships, but I'm glad that won't stop us now. I know we've only been dating for a short while, but... I feel like I can't wait any longer."

He pulls something out of his pocket and gets down on one knee. The room is full of gasps.

"Martha Renee Goode, will you be my wife and marry me?"

My jaw dropped. I was frozen. Did he just propose to my mother?!

"YES! YES I WILL!" She immediately starts to cry as he slides a wedding ring on her ring finger. They embrace and kiss. I hear clapping and applause, but I don't move. My whole world has stopped... time has slowed down. I couldn't even feel my legs moving from underneath me -- pretty soon, I realized I was in my bedroom, on my bed, crying.