Chapter 9

SAM's POV

It was the last period of the day. English. All we do is read in this class, which is what I was doing right now. For the last fifteen minutes of class my book of choice was The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton. I've read this book plenty times in the past, but it's an easy read and I really enjoy it.

About two minutes before the school day was over, there were a few end of the day announcements. A high-pitched, peppy voice blasted through the intercom and everyone that was sleeping jerked awake.

"Hey, Wesley High Bumblebees! Here's some end of the day announcements! The Homecoming dance is tomorrow night in the large gymnasium. Doors open at 7pm. If you haven't already gotten a ticket for you and a special one, we still have a few available in the activities office after school. The dance will have lots of food, drinks, music, and the homecoming queen will be announced! And also, don't forget to go out and support the girls' and boys' varsity basketball game this Saturday morning at 9:00 am! Have a great rest of your day!"

The bell rung and students filed out of the classroom. Finally getting through the thick crowd of students in the hallway, I rushed down to the gym and into the locker room to get ready for basketball practice. Tonight was our last rehearsal until our first homecoming game this Saturday -- not to mention our last rehearsal before winter break!

I was the only one in the girls' locker room. Practice doesn't start until another twenty minutes, but I have to be early because I'm the captain. As I was tying my shoes, Becca texted me: 

BECCA: I have to tell you something!!! :)

"Wow. Someone's excited about something," I said to myself. I was about to reply back when someone rushed into the locker room.

"SAM!! OMG, GUESS WHAT?!" Becca was jumping up and down and screaming.

"Um, what?" I said, staring at my crazy friend.

"I'm going to the homecoming dance!"

"I know. You've been talking about the stupid dance since school started," I stood up, meeting her eye level.

"GUESS WHO I'M GOING WITH?!"

"Mm. I don't know, but I'm guessing you'll tell me?"

"...KHALIL ASKED ME OUT!!" Becca hugged me real tight and jumped up and down.

"Khalil? Wow... "

"I KNOW, RIGHT?! I was shocked, too," she said, grinning from ear to ear, "I'm so happy right now!"

"Really? I couldn't tell," I responded sarcastically. I wonder if Diggy knows that Khalil asked her out?

"OMG, SAM! You have to help me pick out my outfit for the dance. I already have about five choices to pick from so you have to come over tonight and help me, chica!"

"I don't feel like it. It always takes you hours just to pick out a pair of shoes," I whined obnoxiously.

"You can just sit on my bed. I don't care, you have to come over tonight."

"I have practice..." I grabbed my basketball out of my bag, and started walking out of the locker room with Becca right behind me. 

In the gym, the boys basketball team was shooting free throws. Khalil and Becca make eye contact for a brief moment, which causes my friend to giggle. Eww. I also saw Diggy flirting with that THANG again. I rolled my eyes and walked to the other side of the gym where the girls practice. One girl on the team, Mickie, walked past us and pat Becca on the back.