Chapter 49

DIGGY's POV

~The same night~

"So, what are we doing this weekend? Clubbing? Movies?" Khalil asks, sitting at my kitchen counter and looking at his phone.

"Eh... I don't know," I reply. I watch the four slices of bread that I put into the toaster, waiting for them to rise before I get the lettuce and tomato out of the fridge.

"You're not gonna stay inside all weekend, are you?"

"Maybe." I shrug.

"Man, you're lame!" Khalil exclaims.

"Okay," I reply, unaffected by his comment. "I mean, we just went to a party last night."

"Yeah, but we had to leave early because of Sam--"

"Not my problem--"

"But it wasn't even that bangin'..."

I glance at him and chuckle. "Well, it seemed like you had fun to me given the way you were dancing all up on Becca."

Khalil sucks his teeth and looks at me. "I mean, it would've been more fun if all of us hung out and partied together. You were M.I.A. the whole night doing who-knows-what," he complains.

The toast pops up. I grab the slices and place them on paper plates before slathering mayo and mustard onto them.

"I was not M.I.A. the whole night..."

"Oh, yeah? Then what were you doing?" I feel Khalil's eyes glare at me.

I put some sliced tomatoes and lettuce onto the toast. I hesitate before answering.

"Nothing..."

"Nothing?" He asks, looking skeptical.

"I mean..." I hesitate for a moment. "It wasn't anything..."

"What wasn't anything? Dig, what were you doing?" Khalil asks, looking intrigued.

I clear my throat and take the bacon out of the microwave, mumbling: "I made out with Dana..."

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you." Khalil cups his ear and then walks over to me.

I throw some bacon strips on our sandwiches, sighing. "I... uh... made out with Dana..."

Khalil's eyes widen. "You what?! Are you forreal?"

"Unfortunately, yes."

"What do you mean 'unfortunately'? She can be self-centered at times but you're single, she's single. Man, I can't believe it! Wait. Are you two...?"

"No! There's nothing going on between us. It just... happened," I reply with a shrug.

Khalil takes another step closer to me, leaning on the kitchen counter.

"Bro... how in the heck you manage to pull that off?" Khalil asks.

"I didn't plan it. She wanted to talk to me so we went to this empty bedroom on the main floor and talked, like for real. I learned some things about her that I never knew. And then... next thing I know, we're kissing," I explain.

Khalil smirks and nods. "Okay. I see you, playboy."

I roll my eyes. "Stop."

"Naw, you pimpin'. See, I told you you was gonna get some lady action last night. I told you."

"Man, whatever. Take yo' sandwich," I reply.

Khalil grabs his plate, still smirking. I shake my head with a small grin and bite into my BLT.