Chapter 74

SAM's POV

~Graduation Day ~

Graduation day takes place at the local convention center in Manhattan, right along the Hudson River. We had to walk from the parking deck to the convention center, but the sun was nice and high in the sky providing us with lots of warmth and good energy! Groups of students in their black and yellow caps and gowns were walking across the streets with huge smiles on their faces. My mom and Antonio were right there beside me in their best dressed clothes and their digital cameras ready to go.

"You look beautiful, honey," My mom says in a sweet voice while rubbing my head.

"Thanks..." I reply while resisting the urge to show teeth while I smile.

"I agree. You look like a young woman ready to conquer the world..." Antonio chuckles from the other side of me. "You ready for your next chapter?"

I grin and focus forward. "I was born ready..."

We enter into the room reserved for our school's graduation class. There are rows of red chairs in the middle of the room facing a small stage; about half the seats were occupied with graduating students, and each seat had the student's name taped to the chair in alphabetical order. There are a couple rows of seats along the room's wall facing inward; these were for the parents, guardians, and other guests. I easily spotted Becca sitting in the front row and said hello to her before finding my seat in the sixth row. My mom and Antonio sat along the right wall with other parents.

Within 30 minutes, students and parents filled the room. Julie and her family arrived a few minutes after we did, and her parents sat beside Antonio. Julie sits a couple of rows behind me. Then in walked Jake's family - including a middle-aged man with older but similar features. That must be his dad. Wow... to think I could've been introduced to his dad as Jake's girlfriend, but it's too late for that. His family looked energized, per usual. I took a few glances their way but pretended to deal with a pesky string on the sleeve of my graduation gown to avoid their attention. I don't know what he told them about our breakup or what they might think of it, so it's better to avoid all contact if I can. Unfortunately, I hear his family and my mom's excited voice to my right... and then...

"Sam! Look who's here!" My mom calls me from her seat and waves my way, pointing toward Mrs. Rosalita. I force a grin and wave her way, feeling a bit awkward as I see Jake's aunt and cousins, too. I wonder if they still think we're moving in together?

Finally, Khalil and Diggy's families walk in together just a few minutes before the ceremony is set to begin. I also try to avoid their line of sight as they enter and sit in the open seats along the left side of the wall. Since their last names start with R and S, Jake, Khalil, and Diggy would most likely sit in the same row near the back of the room. But Diggy takes a seat on stage next to the principal and faculty; he wears a yellow sash and holds an index card in his hands.

As my thoughts were running wild, the principal stands to their feet and introduces themselves while welcoming everyone to the event. After a few jokes and a long-winded speech, the principal prepares to pass the mic to someone else.

"And now, let me introduce you to a Wesley High graduating Senior who will be making the valedictorian speech to everyone today. He is an honors student and one of Wesley High School's star basketball players, awarded the Best Boy Athlete and Free Throw Master by his peers. He is signed to play basketball at UCLA this Fall. Please give a warm welcome to your valedictorian, Daniel Simmons!"

The room erupts in applause as Diggy takes the podium. My eyes widen in complete shock. I didn't know he had honors AND would be doing the valedictorian speech. Okay, Diggy... I see you.