Chapter 31

SAM's POV

"Sam! You have a guest!" My mom shouts from downstairs. Who is it now?

I get up from my bed and walk down the stairs. I see my best friend standing at the front door holding a red gift bag. "You're late," I mumble.

"I know - I'm sorry. I had to help mi madre with some holiday stuff around the house... you okay?" Becca's face looks of concern and she clearly realizes I've been crying.

"Yeah. I'm fine." I look to the side and sniffle.

"You're lying... I got you a gift." I take the bag from her hands and give her a measly hug. She returns the gesture but with more feeling. "So, where's the party?"

"In there," I reply, referring to the dining room. I follow behind her as we enter the room; curious eyes watch us. Diggy is sitting next to Russy. Mom gets up from the table to escort Becca to the kitchen and grabs me too.

"Help yourself, Becca. You can get as much as you want to eat. It's good to see you!" Mom gave her a hug.

"Thanks, Mrs. Goode."

"Sam, can I speak with you?"

"About?"

"Are you okay? I know it's a lot to take in, but I hope that you can be happy with this decision--"

"You don't need my permission to do anything. You're a grown woman." I cross my arms and hypnotize her with my eyes.

"We both will have to get used to our new life. But no matter what happens, I'll always love you." Her eyes begin to fill with water and her lip quivers. I frown and continue to scan her face. She hugs me. I don't move a muscle.

"Can Becca and I eat in my room?" I ask, changing the subject.

"Sure..." Mom walks back into the dining room without another word.

"What was that about? You know you have to tell me," Becca says.

"I will."

***

DIGGY's POV

It was almost 3pm and some people had already left. I wish we could leave but my parents are chatting away with Ms. Martha and her fiance, Antonio. I managed to sneak away from the table and go into the living room where their Christmas tree was. 

Man, this Christmas sucks. Instead of being filled with cheer and laughs, it's filled with "Sam drama" and awkward moments. I wish we didn't argue up in her room. Over stupid stuff, too.

I pulled my phone out of my pocket and began scrolling through Twitter and Instagram. One picture caught my eye and I noticed the person tagged me in it. There was a picture of me and Julie -- must have been at a basketball game last weekend. I was wearing my uniform and she was in her cheer outfit. I was smiling. She was kissing my cheek. I looked so happy. Why can't I still be that happy? What's stopping me from being happy? Is it me? Or someone else?

"Aww, how cute." A sarcastic voice said from behind my head. I jumped and sat up on the couch. Russy laughed and sat next to me on the couch.

"Stop sneaking up on people."

"Was that you and Julie?"

"Yeah... what you know about Julie?"

"I know things. Plus, nobody in our house talks quietly. I hear everything." He points to his ears. I place my hand on top of his head and push it to the side.