Chapter 19

SAM's POV

~Friday night, Winter Break~

We managed to have our weekly Bestie Day this Friday at my house. I invited Becca and Khalil over my house to chill. I wasn't going to tell Diggy about it since he's been acting brand new lately, but my friends insisted that we try to work out whatever problems we've been having. Since I feel like I'm a changed woman and have matured (despite the fight with Dana the other day at school), I guess I should put our differences aside and pretend like there's nothing bad between us.

We all were getting our plateful of snacks and candy from the kitchen table, like usual. This time, my mom made sub sandwiches for us and set out bowls of potato chips in a variety of flavors along with a bag of assorted candy. We each took a can of soda.

"Thanks again, Mrs. Goode. We needed this night!" Becca enthuses to my mom.

"It's no problem. I remember when I was your age..."

I groan and roll my eyes, "Mom! Nobody wants to hear your 'back in my day' stories. Please!"

Becca and Khalil smile and laugh a little.

"Oh, hush! All I was saying is that when I was a teenager, I'd love hanging out with my friends. We even threw parties when our parents were out of town."

"Really?" I ask.

"Yep. You may not be able to see it now, but I was a pretty cool girl in my day," my mom puts her hand on her hip and flips her short hair over her shoulder.

"Right..." I wait for my friends to get the rest of their snacks.

"Me and Diggy's mother used to be the baddest chicks in school. We did everything together. Bet y'all didn't know that we were on the cheer team together."

"For real? That's so awesome! You guys were on a team together, now your oldest kids are both playing on a basketball team," Becca says, while smiling at me and looking back at Diggy.

"Yes. Actually, when Samantha and Daniel were younger, they were on the same little league tee ball team. They were inseparable."

"Wonder what happened?" Khalil speaks up, looking at his friend Diggy who hasn't said a word since he came in the house.

"Welp. On that note, we're gonna head upstairs to my room. Vaminos!" I begin to walk upstairs.

"Don't eat in your room. You always get food on the carpet, Sam."

"Okay, we'll go to the bonus room..."

I went up to my room anyways. I sat on the floor, resting my back against my bed while Becca and Khalil sat on the bed. Diggy sat on the floor, too.

"Alright, I put the movie 'This Christmas' in," I announce.

"Ooh! Now I can see Chris Brown," Becca gushes. I laugh at her.

As the movie starts, everyone is munching on their food except for Diggy. He's in another dimension and not even paying attention to the movie. I snap my fingers in his face and he slowly looks up at me. His eyes looked glazed over.

"Diggy... you okay?" I ask, sizing up his glum look.

"Yeah."

"Man, you been silent since you got here. What's wrong?" Khalil asks.

Diggy sighs and says, "I'm fine."

I was getting tired of his Debbie Downer mood, so I asked Becca and Khalil if they'd step out of my room for a second so I could talk to Diggy alone. They agreed and walked out the room, closing the door behind them. No matter how much I may despise Diggy right now, I'm not gonna sit here and let him be all gloomy. He better tell me what's wrong with him.