Chapter 17

SAM's POV

~Wednesday Morning, Winter Break~

I would start my plan today. My plan to get Jake some money for his family so he can go to college and so his mom can pay her bills. I didn't tell anyone about my proposal, not even Becca. The only person that knows is Diggy. But since he disagreed to help me, I had to take matters into my own hands.

Becca and the rest of the Wesley High cheer team have practice this morning in the school gym. I asked Becca if I could come with her and she accepted with no questions. She probably found it odd because she knows I don't give a crap about cheerleading, but she knows she enjoys having me around. 

I woke up at 7am, got dressed, had a bowl of cereal, and left my mom a note on the kitchen table telling her where I'd be. I'm sure she wouldn't notice that I was gone. Antonio has all of her attention now. It's like I'm invisible! But maybe that's a good thing...

Becca picked me up a few minutes before 8am and drove us to the school. When we were finally inside the school gym, I looked around for Julie, but she wasn't in sight.

"Thanks for being here with me. I'm surprised you wanted to come," Becca said to me.

I smiled and said, "No problem. It's good to get some fresh air."

"How are things at home?"

"Awesome. Ever since Prince Charming came to our house, I can get away with a lot of stuff. It's like I'm invisible," I say.

"Prince Charming?" We were sitting on one of the bleachers now as she was tying her shoes.

"Yeah, my mom's 'friend' from work has been staying the night a few times this week. He's helped her put up Christmas decorations, cook dinner, and they're always cuddling on the couch."

"Aww, that's great!" She enthuses.

"It's horrible, Becca. I don't need a lump of nothing sitting around my house, sucking up all the television, and acting like he cares about my mother. I already had one of those and look where he is now. Not here!" Out of the corner of my eye, I see Dana and Ladelle walking past us toward the rest of the cheer team who are stretching on the gym floor. Hate them.

"I'm sure he's a nice man."

"Oh, please! Nice is for the dogs. He's just using my mom's kind heart to get into her panties."

"Whoa! Okay... I don't know what to say," Becca replies, looking very startled.

"Say I'm right."

"I would, but... I might regret it." Becca laughs a little.

"Hey, Sam, where's your boyfriend?" Dana walks up to me with Ladelle attached to her hip.

"None of your business," I reply.

"That was a cute little scene he did yesterday at the mall. Is he always so overprotecting?"

"What are you talking about, Dana?" I'm getting tired of her mouth these days.

"The way he stood up for you, it was so... attractive. If you're done using him, can I have him? He'd be great man candy." Dana says while smiling at me. I roll my eyes and look up at her.

"If you're talking about Jake, he's not my boyfriend. And I'm sure he wouldn't want anything to do with your stupid, uneducated, attention-seeking butt!"

"Oooh, 'uneducated'. That's a big word for you. That must've been hard to swallow -- but wait, nothing is hard to swallow for you. Especially when it comes to Chris." She laughs and gives Ladelle a high five. This girl did NOT just go there! She obviously wants a beating. I stand up and take off my earrings, getting in her face.