Chapter 50

SAM's POV

~Saturday~

"...and maybe you could have your reception in the basement. It has large floor space for dancing, and we can have some of the ushers and kitchen staff prepare the meals for you free of charge!"

Pastor Palmer smiles while trying to persuade my mama and Antonio to use the church's space for the wedding and reception. I stare at the stain-glass windows that line the sanctuary walls as the sunshine fills up the church. Our church is kinda old, but the remodeling it went under a few years ago helps to brighten up the space.

"Oh, Pastor Palmer, that's so generous of you," Mama replies, smiling.

"Well, it's nothing for a committed church-goer like yourself. We take care of our members here at Church of God in Christ. You know the congregation is so thrilled to see you married again, Martha!" Pastor Palmer enthuses.

"Oh, thank you so much, Pastor." Mama pauses before continuing. "We'd definitely love to have the wedding here and have you be our officiant."

Antonio grins at the Pastor. I sigh, still looking around the church.

"That sounds great," Pastor Palmer says.

"We'll think about the reception being here, too. We just want to check all of our options."

"Of course. No problem."

Antonio speaks up. "We're thankful for all that you've done to help us with this ceremony, Pastor Palmer."

Pastor waves him off and smiles, rubbing his gray beard. "Listen. It's no problem. Especially when the man and woman-to-be are such great children of God and clearly have a deep connection. I want y'all to know that I'm rooting for you. There's gonna be a lot of demons coming after you and your family, but that's what happens when the devil sees that you're growing closer to God. Growing stronger." Pastor Palmer takes their hands in his, having an intimate moment.

I sigh, more audible than planned. Mama glares at me, but not too much, before shaking the pastor's hand.

"Ain't that the truth? Well, we should go... gotta look at other venues. Have a nice day, Pastor," Mama says. Her and Antonio share another embrace with the pastor and say their goodbyes. I start walking towards the exit, but the pastor calls me back.

"Miss Samantha. You're not gonna leave without giving ya pastor a hug, are you?" He opens his arms wide with a grin.

I plaster on a smile and give him a small hug.

"That's my girl. You're growing up so fast! Gosh. I can't believe you're graduating this year."

Ugh. Not this talk. I wanna leave.

"Me neither," I respond, which gets a laugh out of everyone.

"Haha. Well, hang in there. I'll see you tomorrow, I hope?"

I look to my mother. She just smiles and nods.

"We'll see you later, Pastor." Mama waves and starts walking towards the exit, practically running me over.

We walk outside and hop into Antonio's vehicle. There are lots of people outside and on the streets, despite the chilly temperature and piles of snow lining the curb.

"Where we going next?" I ask from the backseat.

"Central Park, honey."

Antonio pulls away from the curb.

***

~15 minutes later~

We're walking through the Central Park garden - a big open green area (well, now a snowy white area) - where usually a handful of folks are playing frisbee, picnicking, or chasing small children. But only three families play in the snow with their children. We avoid walking onto the green space since none of us have boots, as the park worker leads us around the perimeter of the park.