Chapter 22

DIGGY's POV

The medics from the ambulance finished giving me a check-up. I had no broken bones or bruises, just some pain in the back of my neck. The lady driving the minivan had a bruised leg and neck injuries. Her three-month-old baby that was sitting in the backseat of her car thankfully had no injuries. The only thing hurt was our cars. I ended up smashing the entire front bumper of my car... so my mom and dad had to come pick me up since my car was getting towed.

Sitting in the backseat of my dad's truck, my parents were questioning me about what happened, and if I was okay, and all of that stuff. I told them that I was blasting my music and not paying attention. My father didn't believe me and told me that there had to have been more to the story -- and then he asked me where I was coming from. I simply told him that I was driving from the school fundraiser with my music blasted, I was approaching an intersection with a green light, and the next thing you know it was red, but I didn't stop in time. That was all they needed to know. 

At the end of the day, they were just glad that no one was seriously hurt. Since the accident was my fault, the insurance company would be notified, and the lady that I hit would be getting some money from us for damage to her driver side door.

***

Finally arriving home, my little brother Russy and little sister Miley greet me at the door.

"What happened?" Russy asks me as I step into the foyer. His face was full of worry.

"Just got into an accident. I'm fine," I reply.

"Diggy!!! Are you okay?" Miley looks up at me and hugs me tightly around the waist. I can't help but smile down at her.

"Yeah, kiddo, I'm okay." I hug her back.

"Diggy is fine, thank goodness. We can discuss more in the morning, but for now, let's all get ready for dinner," my dad says as he walks into the kitchen, leading the way.

"Miley, Russ, go wash your hands." My siblings follow my mom's directions.

After everyone leaves, I head upstairs to my room.

"Dig, where you going?" My mom asks.

"I'm not hungry..." I reply, still feeling sort of jittery from the crash.

"You need to eat, babe..."

"I'll eat later. I'm... just tired..."

Reaching my bedroom, I go inside and belly flop on my bed. Staring at the wall, I think about what Julie said to me in the driveway of her house. I can't believe she was playing me this whole time -- and I can't believe Sam helped her! There were too many emotions in my head, too much going on, and I needed someone to talk to... so I took my cell phone out of my pocket and called the only friend that I had left.

***

SAM's POV

My girl Becca came over my house after the fundraiser. We were chilling in my room watching a Christmas movie marathon on Lifetime. Between commercials, we talked about the fundraiser event and other gossip.

"Can you believe that Jake won? He's such a sweet guy. He deserves that money," my friend says.

"Yeah... hopefully that'll help with his tuition. He has to go to UCLA. It won't be fun without him," I reply with a slight frown.

"Aww, that's adorable!"

I glare at my friend, roll my eyes, and continue eating my bag of chips.

"You know, on the low down, I always thought you and Jake would be a perfect couple," she says with a grin.

"Becca! Ew!"

"I'm serious, girl! You guys just click together."

"You just want me with literally every single guy."

"Eh, I just want to see you with a guy period. But, I forgot... you have Chris now," she says while toying with the remote control.

"Not anymore..."

Becca gives me a concerned look.

"Me and Chris aren't together anymore. Surprise," I say with dry enthusiastic.

"What happened? WHEN did this happen?!" Becca practically yells, acting like her whole world turned upside down.

"Well... today. It just wasn't gonna work out. Plus, he likes someone else."

I only shrug, hoping to get off this topic very quickly.

"Typical..." She sighs. "It's always the athletes that are players. I can't believe him! I was so happy for you guys--"

"Don't worry about it." I wanted to tell her that it was all fake, but I held my tongue. It doesn't matter anymore anyways. The only people that know the true reasons are me, Chris, and Julie, and since they're together now, I plan to keep our little secret in the past.

"I'm here for you if you wanna talk, okay?" Becca responds. I simply nod. "I guess next subject. What was wrong with Diggy yesterday? He was, like, in the worst mood. What did you guys talk about when me and Khalil left the room?"

"Uh... not much. He was just worried about nothing. Typical Diggy." I get up and throw away my trash, then lay back on my bed. Definitely don't think it's a good idea to tell her about how he might be a father. I can't even believe that myself. Him and Julie?! Really? He just met the girl and... ugh. I'm really disappointed in him. And then he had the audacity to say he didn't care about me? Ooh, he got another thing coming.

"Oh. Well, at least you guys talked."

"Yeah." Oh, we talked alright. Lucky for him my fist didn't meet his upper lip.

"OMG!" Becca yells which made me jump.

"What? What is it?" I look at her.

"Khalil told me that Diggy got in a car accident--"

"What? Is he alright?" I sit up taller in my seat hearing this news.

"Khalil says yes... he's just... troubled?" Becca looks down in confusion at her phone screen.

"Okay... what does that mean?"

She shrugs and texts. Letting out a sigh, I flip the channel to BET. The movie Love and Basketball was on. Ugh. They show this too much! I continue to flip through the other channels... then the doorbell rings. Wonder who that could be? Maybe the mail man delivering a package that is my Christmas gift. I asked my mom for some new Jordans, a new basketball, and Derek Rose. If I saw Derek Rose under my tree on Christmas day... woo child, MY LIFE WOULD BE COMPLETE!

"Sam! You have a guest!" My mama yells up the stairs. I hear some footsteps walk up the stairs before there's a knock on my bedroom door. I tell whoever it is to come in. It was Jake.

"Hey. What are you doing here?" I ask, surprised to see him.

"Hey, Sam. Hey, Becca."

"Hey," Becca smiles. "Oh, gosh. Congratulations for getting that fundraiser money!"

"Yeah, um..." Jake's face looks really uncomfortable, like he's hurting or something. I've never seen him look so distorted. "Actually, that's... what I needed to tell you about."

"What's up?" I ask with a frown.

The worry and confusion on his face changes to anger. He closes the bedroom door behind him and steps forward.

"It's Julie."