Chapter 32

SAM's POV

I drove to Jake's house and parked my car along the curb. I walked up the driveway to their front door and rang the doorbell. They had a lighted Christmas sign hanging on the door that read Feliz Navidad. The roof of their house was lined with multi-colored holiday lights and so were the bushes surrounding the house. It was nothing extravagant, but still festive. After a few seconds of waiting, Jake opened the door and let me in. I followed him down to the basement where we had hung out just last week. It looked the same - same exercise equipment in the corner, a couch, TV, table with snacks on it - nothing new.

"What's up?" He asks.

"Where are my Twizzlers?" I ask, holding my hand out.

He smirks and walks over to the small table in front of the couch, grabs the bag, and hands it to me.

"Cherry pull 'n' peels...? Hm. It'll do." I take the bag of sweets from him and smile devilishly. 

We both walk to the couch and plop down on it. I rest my foot on the corner of the small table. Jake snatches a bag of Doritos and starts to eat them.

"So... what are we gonna do?" I ask while opening my bag of sweets.

"Well, I was thinking about beating you in a game of COD: Advanced Warfare, destroying you in Assassin's Creed, then maybe watching a few movies."

"First of all, you will NEVER beat me in Call of Duty or Assassin's Creed because I am the all-time champion of both of those games--"

"Uh-huh," he nods at my response, a smirk on his face.

"And second of all... what kinda movies you got?" I said in a calmer tone this time. He grins at me, sucks the cheese dust from his fingers, and gets up to grab a movie that I assume he's picked out. He picks up a stack of about 5 movies from the ground and individually holds one up at a time.

"Okay, so I picked out, like, two Christmas movies since it's Christmas. The others are kinda random." - he laughs a little - "I got This Christmas, Friday After Next, The Purge, 22 Jump Street, and Madea's Big Happy Family."

"22 Jump Street all day!" I throw up my hands and smile.

"Alright," he laughs as he puts in the DVD.

"Did you get any presents?" I ask him as the movie trailers are rolling.

Jake takes a seat back on the couch. "For Christmas? I got accepted at another job."

"I meant presents you can wrap."

"I wrap... groceries," he says slowly.

I can't help but laugh when he said that. He's so dumb.

"But really, I got a job at Wal-Mart. I start next week," he explains with a prideful look.

"Mo' money, mo' money!" I cheer while pulling apart a Twizzler strip. "I can't even be mad at that."

"Yeah, so it's gonna be pretty busy this winter. What about you? Did you get any presents?" He takes a sip from his can of pop.

I didn't really get any presents honestly. I mean I usually buy my own stuff now that I'm grown. But I wasn't really thinking about clothes or shoes or an endless supply of video games... none of that stuff really mattered right now because the "engagement situation" still infuriated me.

"Well... I got a surprise..." I begin.

"What?" He asks, sounding bored.

"My mom's getting married..."