Chapter 54

SAM's POV

~Wednesday, Jake's House~

Me, my moms, and Antonio arrived at Jake's house around 5pm for his mother's birthday dinner. Although I had bought a gift for his mother, my mom thought it'd be rude to go empty-handed, so she decided to bring a bottle of wine as well. Jake had told me that his mom liked nice-smelling things so I decided on a box set of mini scented candles along with a nice birthday card. Hopefully, she'll like it.

There was a car parked in their garage and another in front of their house on the street. We park behind the second car and as we were walking to their front door, my insides were all bubbly. I am soooo nervous! Plus, I was shivering because of how cold it was. We've JUST started dating, and it's not even that serious, but the thought of meeting Jake's mom seems like a huge step.

"You excited?" My mom asks with her hands buried in her red wool coat pockets.

"Mm, I guess. Just try not to embarrass me, alright?" I reply as I cut my eyes at her.

"Oh, hush. How would I embarrass you?"

"It's not that hard for you..." I ring the front doorbell, looking down at my black-heeled boots and red velvet dress with leggings. I decided to dress up a little bit to impress my man, of course.

"Aye, just because we're at your little boyfriend's house don't mean I won't smack you into next week. Watch it, missy." She threatens.

"Martha, why are you always threatening to smack Sam?" Antonio asks with a chuckle. "She's only teasing you a bit."

"When you have your own kids, you'll understand..." She flips her short bob haircut. I can't lie, mama is looking cute tonight.

"So... you're saying you wanna have kids?" Antonio leans all up behind my mom, speaking super close to her ear with a flirty grin. She blushes. Ewwww.

As I throw up in my mouth, she playfully pushes him back. "Slow your roll, Mr. Martinez. You gotta put a ring on it first."

"Whatever you say... Mrs. Martinez," he replies in a sultry voice.

The door finally opens and it's Jake!

"Hey!!" He greets us with the biggest, most genuine smile.

"Hey!" I reply, smiling big. I always feel so good around him.

"I'm glad you could make it. Come in, it's cold." Jake opens the door wider and steps aside as we shuffle into his living room. 

We gently tap the snow from our shoes onto his doormat before taking them off. I wiggle my toes through my socks, feeling the warmth of the floor beneath.

"Oh! I can take your coats, too. I'll hang 'em in the closet," Jake insists, still wearing a big smile.

"Oh, thank you," mama says.

"Thanks, Jake," Antonio replies.

I slip my coat off my shoulders and as Jake grabs it, he makes long eye contact with me. He better stop--

"It's good to see you again. How was the drive?" Jake asks us, mostly looking toward my mama and Antonio. As they make short small talk about the weather, I glance around the living room. Even though I've been over his house before, I never got a chance to take everything in.

His house had a very comfortable, casual feeling. Nothing fancy. His couch was filled with red-and-green holiday pillows... there was a bookshelf that displayed some sports trophies and medals (most likely Jake's)... and I just noticed the pictures of him and a lady who I'm guessing is his mom. I stepped up for a closer look.