Chapter 59

SAM's POV

~Weekend~

The month of February is here and things were moving a bit too fast for my liking. This month, my mom is gonna get married... in two weeks to be exact. Also, Antonio moves into our house this week, so instead of spending a relaxing Saturday in my bed, I'm helping him move all his boxes from his old house into ours. For him to have lived alone with no kids, he sure had a lot of stuff. It's not even 9 o'clock and I'm already done with all this -- and I ain't even eat no breakfast either. it's gonna be a long day...

Me, my mom, and Antonio made several trips back and forth between the house and the moving truck, carrying plastic containers and cardboard boxes of his things and setting them down in the kitchen and the larger dining room area. Occasionally, he would direct us to put specific boxes in specific locations -- like his old football trophies from high school needed to be gently placed on the dining room table to prevent breaking, and his movie collection needed to rest on the couch so he could easily sort them and watch one later. Three larger containers of his wardrobe were taken to the master bedroom that he would now share with my mama along with a box filled with various sneakers and penny loafers. Since he sold most of his big furniture items, thankfully there wasn't anything crazy to drag inside the house except for his work desk and ergonomic chair which he liked so much he apparently couldn't give it away.

After an hour, we had finally cleared the moving truck of Antonio's things. Mama and I took a rest in the kitchen while he locked the moving truck he had rented for the day and got some other things from his car.

"You did good, sweetie. Thank you for helping move Antonio's belongings in..." my mama praised me while giving me a small hug around the shoulders.

"Yeah, yeah... where's my payment at? I prefer cash only," I respond back.

Antonio enters the front door with a smile, carrying a white box in his hands. "Did someone say payment? I hope donuts are okay."

I gasp while my eyes practically bulge out of my head. I run to his side as he opens the box of delicious treats and sets it on the kitchen table.

"DONUTS?! Oh, now you're speaking my language..." I say. Without hesitation, I grab a raspberry-filled treat and bite into it. "Mmm... heaven."

Antonio chuckles at my reaction.

"Girl, you're so dramatic. Thank you, Antonio. Them donuts are almost as sweet as you," mama coos into his ear while wrapping her arms around his neck.

"No problem, baby..." Antonio coos back as he pecks her on the lips. I tune them out by burying my face in more donuts.

"Let me get some coffee going... Sam, slow down with them donuts," my mama says.

"Thanks for your help, Sam," Antonio tells me, "I know you probably didn't plan to wake up so early on a weekend, but I really appreciate your hard work. You're a good daughter."

"No problem..." I say with my mouth full, causing Antonio to chuckle again. Suddenly, the doorbell rings.

"Yeah. Now be an even better daughter and go answer the door," my mama orders while handing Antonio a cup of coffee. I sigh and do as she says, walking through the foyer and opening the front door, peering outside. That's when I see a lady in a light blue uniform walking down our driveway towards her mail truck.