E i g h t

This chapter contains violent actions and mentions self-harm. Please read with caution.

_____

'' And you will always have me.''

_____

Amelie's back scored cold against the chair across the massive desk. The white strands of the headmaster's beard fell completely over his chest, '' Would you mind telling me how this year has been treating you so far?''

His tone held gentle yet harsh.

She blinked quickly, feeling as if her veins rushed in dread. She wasn't scared of the man sitting in front of her, but she was intimidated by the situation she had found herself in.

'' It's going well, Sir.'' She said shyly.

'' Is it really?'' He tilted his head, '' Why is it that your year is going well, and not for say, great?''

Her fingers gripped the wood of the armrest of her chair, harder as she swallowed, '' The year has barely begun, Sir. I think I need a little more time for it to be great.''

Dumbledore's eyes narrowed in hers as he slowly nodded, '' Well, I hope that within time, you'll find the rest of this year to be a bit better than just well.''

'' I do too.'' Amelie forced a smile, shifting uncomfortably in her seat, '' Sir.'' She added.

She flinched as he rose from his seated position. The grey cloak shifted lively behind him as he stepped around her, quietly humming for himself, '' As I told you earlier, I was informed by a dark type of magic being used in this school.'' He cleared his throat, '' And that the consequences of such a harmful act can be truly severe.''

Amelie nodded as her eyes stayed on the tall man.

'' It's inappropriate to use that type of spells, Miss Avery, but I happen to be aware of the situation surrounding you, both home and... here.''

Her breath stilled as her mind clocked what the headmaster meant, and the instant she came to the realization of that — that the man in charge of this school knew about the abuse she had been through, made her feel ashamed.

It felt as if someone had invaded her deepest parts of privacy — as if she were exposed and her every thought was on display.

'' I will, however, look past your and Mr. Nott's deeds this evening—''

Her eyes flayed wide as she caught onto Theodore's name.

'' Because I believe that it was an act of self-defense, but since you are still under the age of eighteen, I am required to inform your father about this.''

Amelie's insides twisted as the shame washed over her, and she knew that the instant her father would learn about what she did to Adrian — he would bring all the rage held within him, down on her, because this brought indignity upon his name, Avery. The tells of the Death Eaters and their families spread worse than flames in an open fire, and this wouldn't be different — not to him.

'' And he is on his way.''

Her heart dropped. She could barely breathe as she turned around in her chair to face the headmaster, '' My father is on his way?''

Her bones caved, her mind crumbling.

'' He is indeed.'' Dumbledore granted her a swift nod before turning around as he began to walk up the stairs in his office.

He peered over his shoulder as he strolled up, '' I will speak with him, but I am afraid that he wishes to have a word with you as well.''

'' But in the meantime, I think someone is waiting for you downstairs,'' His steps echoed further away as she aimed around.