S e v e n t y - s i x

This chapter contains scenes of death and emotional trauma. Please read with caution.

______

''No one should die alone.''

______

''Excuse me—'' Draco lowered his voice, his hands placed flat on the counter in front of him as the lady behind it turned around, smiling broadly at him.

''How can I help you today, sir?'' She asked politely.

Draco cleared his throat, peering around discretely, ''I'm looking for a Mr. Brown, former Dr.Brown.''

He didn't once falter with his demanding tone, not wishing to seem doubtful even if this was far out of his comfort zone.

The lady frowned at him, nodding hesitantly as she began to flip through the pages of her book.

''I'm sorry, sir, but I'm not allowed to give out any information about Dr. Brown at the moment.''

Malfoy's jaws gritted, his sight snapped across her as it landed on the nametag on her chest, taking in the name on it before he narrowed his eyes in hers, ''You'll have to excuse me, miss. Smith, but I'm new to town and an old friend of—''

''I'm still not allowed—''

''Perhaps a donation to this home would make you rethink what you're about to say,'' Draco's tone shifted darker, his hand shoved into his pocket as he hauled out a checkbook, ''Or a private one, I don't really care.''

Her brows knitted as she stretched her spine, bending over the counter to watch his doings. She tucked a curl behind her ear, ''Sir, I really don't—''

''One-hundred thousand pounds, would that do it?'' Malfoy held an emotionless look, staring blankly at her while scribbling on the check, ''Or what is it you muggles call your money?''

''Muggles, sir?'' The lady questioned, her face cloaked in confusion, ''I don't—''

Draco ripped the check apart from the book, slamming it down onto the wood as he sighed, ''So, about Dr.Brown?''

The lady startingly stared at the amount of money written on it. She couldn't believe her eyes before her sight snapped, looking around quickly as she snatched the paper, pushing it down in her pocket.

She attended her book again, humming quietly to herself as Draco impatiently stood before her, annoyed to an unexplainable extent.

''He's in the garden, until noon, but Mr...?'' She spoke up as he began to step away. Malfoy cocked his head in response, ''Dr. Brown is utterly confused, and he's not really... lucid at all times so please have—''

Draco didn't bother to listen. He tucked his hands into his suit pants pockets and walked away.

''Pleasure doing business—'' She yelled, but he'd already disappeared, out of sight.

He strode across the elderly home, rolling his eyes at the muggles he watched around him, ''Pathetic,'' Draco scowled to himself as the thought of Amelie not being here clocked his mind.

She was safe at home with his mother and Theodore. He'd promised to be back by dinner, and he intended to keep that word. He knew his mother to be cooking broccoli today and just how much Amelie despised that.

She never told anyone except him.

Draco shrugged, tempting to swallow the aching feeling he caught inside at the loss of her memories. Even when he was half the country away — it still haunted him.