S e v e n t y - f o u r

_____

''Come here.''

_____

''Teddy—'' Amelie gasped

''Teddy—'' Amelie gasped. Her eyes prickled in tears as she rushed her way up to his bed. She slipped down, right next to him, and he grunted out, noisily in pain.

''Careful,'' He mumbled painfully, yet a smile coated his lips as he let her nestle closer, ''It—''

Amelie propped herself up on her elbow, gazing over her friend as she frowned, ''Don't you dare scare me like that again!'' Her head shook, letting go of all the fear she held for him, ''I promise you, Teddy, if you ever—''

''I won't,'' Theodore made a face, nearly a mocking grimace, ''I won't scare you like this again. I promise.''

Amelie's nerves eased. Her eyes flickered across her best friend. Perhaps he'd be alright after all, but even if he were — it still nagged her that he'd been doing things without telling her.

She did have a grave deal of matters to sort out herself. It wasn't a rare thing, but Teddy, hiding this from her even if she did — that was more than unusual.

Theodore's sight dragged across Amelie, studying that tiny crease in her forehead and the haunted eyes as they soothed calmly, ''Wait—''

A hushed pause trapped them, ''Amelie...'' Theo's eyes narrowed, looking dubiously at the girl, tucked into his side with her fingers dancing across his chest, ''No—''

Amelie's lips arched, her nose brushed against the thin fabric of his shirt, ''No, what?'' She couldn't suppress that growing smile of hers — it was unworkable.

She didn't want to tell him, yet she couldn't wait to do so — to simply spill that she was here again. That her mind had eventually loosened the excruciating hold it had of her heart. That she lived freely within the coat of herself again.

''It's not possible...'' He exhaled, his shoulders sunk slightly, ''When? This morning?'' The note in his voice rose louder as the excitement of his friend, finally being here, in her right mind — sparkled.

Her head tipped gently as her forehead struck his arm and the corner of his lips twitched. Theodore —without notice, allowed the arm he had nestled around her, drag her up until she was practically laying on top of him.

''Amelie...'' He whispered, folding his arms around her as her chin buried into his chest. She blinked quickly, staring up at him from below, through her lashes, ''What happened—''

''Where were you?'' Amelie strikes back, tilting her head a bit as the soft strands of her hair followed. He adored that look of her — the kind yet worried grimace she held, ''I woke up, and you were just gone.''

Theodore nodded, his head against his pillow as he stared down at her. His veins ached slightly out of the exhaustion he'd felt, but he didn't mind her lying on top of him. He loved it. Theo had failed to feel her for months.