T w e n t y - e i g h t

_____

'' You're always safe with me.''

_____

Draco Malfoy.

His eyes prickled in tears as he looked down at the bounded piece of paper. He wasn't sure if he was ready for this, to violate Amelie's privacy, to read the thoughts she had of him as he kept her locked in this room.

He was remorseful. He regretted the truth of him treating her so badly — that he had made her scared of him.

The scenarios in his head flickered in all the different ways he could've handled it — how differently he could've handled her.

Still, she always came to his rescue. Even if she held a feeling of fright for him and everything he had done, she would still be here,

His eyes fell over the first page as he pushed himself off the bed, taking long strides up to the wall she used to slip down against,

He did the same thing. He slipped down the wall, next to the door, before dragging his knees up to his chest,

His arms were held tightly around his legs as he sucked in a harsh breath to see all the vicious things she thought about him.

Day 4.

I heard him again last night.

I heard him scream and shout in the middle of the night. It woke me up just like the last time.

I feel like it's nightmares, similar to the ones I have,

The kind that wakes you up with a gasp. The kind that makes your chest feel so heavy. The kind that makes you sweat out of fear. The worst kind.

He locked me in here.

He lied to me. He broke my trust, and still, all I want to do is help him, just like my mother helped me.

I want to pull him into my arms, have his head on my chest as I hum into his skin,

I think that would help him. I think he would feel better with himself if he let me do that, and I wanted to ask him too. I really did, but he doesn't speak to me.

I feel like I had done something wrong like he's mad at me for some reason when all I honestly wanted to do was to get to know him,

To help ease his pain in the same way he eased mine.

_____

Draco looked up from the pages, from the words she had written, and he felt his blood fume.

His insides wrenched as he sought to swallow the pain.

He felt guilty, at fault for all of this.

How could he be so heartless, so cruel to someone so pure?

Even when he hurt her, when she realized that he had lied to her, when he kept her locked up against her will — she still wanted to help him, to save him from himself.

Draco's head tilted back to the wall, and a loud noise came after it as he slammed the back of his head against it again.

He was mad — furious with himself as he groaned at the pain flashing within his mind.

But he needed to keep going. He needed to find Amelie and to fix all of the mistakes ha had brought upon her.

Flashback to a night in the Malfoy Manor.