🚲 THIRTY-EIGHT 🚲

CHAPTER THIRTY-EIGHTH
- Edited -

[ Louis' POV ]

"Louis, do you remember that back at the hospital I wanted to talk with you alone, but Harry didn't let us?" - Anne asked me.

"Yes?"

"Can we talk now?"

I frowned, turning to Harry to see if he was okay with it. He nodded, letting go of my hand and pecking my cheek softly.

"Yeah, go. But mom, don't scare him. And don't show him old photos of me. Actually, try not to embarrass me at all, I already embarrassed myself enough."

I leaned over to peck his lips before standing up.

"I lov- I'll be right back." - I corrected myself quickly.

Harry stared at me and nodded slightly, I walked out of the living room and followed Anne to the kitchen.
She stopped in the middle of the room and faced me.

"I know that you probably already noticed this, but Harry is a lonely guy. Not because he wanted to, but because Austin forced him to be like that. And as his mother, I'm worried. He only has me, and now you. But what would happen with him if I'm not around anymore?" - She blurted out and I just nodded. - "Louis, I don't want Harry to depend on you like he did with Austin. He doesn't have a place to live, he doesn't have a job or a way to survive, and I really want him to be independent. Because I know he can, he is intelligent and strong. But he never studied or worked or even stood up for himself before. And I really think you can help him with that. You're really good for him. And I'm asking you, because I know you are a good man. Please don't make him more hurt than he already is. Try to help him. I don't want him to be your shadow, I want him to be able to live and love, and to be happy on his own."

"Anne." - I said, taking a step closer to her. - "I know you are scared, to be honest, I'm too. I understand everything you are saying, and I think alike. I even talked to him and tried to persuade him to pick a study program, and I encouraged him to find a job. But I think that Harry needs baby steps with this. And I can assure you, I'm going to be by his side in every step of the way. He's not going to be my shadow; I won't let that happen. He is going to shine on his own. I know he will."

Anne was listening to me attentively, and I could see she was starting to tear up a little.

"He doesn't even have friends." - She whispered.

"I know."

"He told me you introduced him to yours."

"Yes, all of my friends met him already. And let me tell you they all loved him."

"Thank you, he needs to have a social life, you know? I don't want him to be alone."

"He won't be alone. And as for the place to live, he is staying with me, and I don't have any problem about him staying for as long as he wants and I don't mind either paying for his things, I really don't. But if you feel more comfortable about asking him to move here, or maybe I guess I can get him a new apartment if he wants to live on his own. But I get that you don't want him to depend on me economically. Those are the only solutions I have now, at least until he makes his own money."

"It's not that I don't want him to move here, or far from you. I just want him to have possibilities, you know? To not depend on other people's money to maintain him." - She said and took my hand. - "I know you would offer your place and he would accept it without even thinking twice. And I'm pretty sure he won't come back and live here with me even if I paid him." - She snorted.

"What can I do? What do you want me to do?"

"Just try to convince him to do something I guess, and above all of that, make him happy. He needs to be happy."