🚲 THREE 🚲

CHAPTER THREE
- Edited -

[ Louis' POV ]

"Louis, you have the interview at Ellen's today. C'mon, we don't have much time."

I groaned, burying my face in the pillow and covering my ears with its ends.

"Louis." - Liam insisted.

"Sure." - I mumbled against the pillow.

"Get up, sleeping beauty." - Liam said, pressing the button to the automatic blinds of my bedroom's window and letting the sunlight in.

I groaned again.

"Just five more minutes, asshole."

"No."

"Liam, please." - I whined.

"Don't make me do this."

"No." - I mumbled.

I felt the weight of his body sinking the edge of the bed a little, and then, he was standing and jumping right above me until my head was practically bouncing on the pillow.

"Okay, you got it, I'm awake. Stop doing that." - I groaned again, sitting up in bed. - "Jeez, you're so annoying."

"You hired me to be annoying." - He smirked. Then, he jumped off the bed and handed me some clothes from my closet.

"Change your clothes, brush your teeth, and come downstairs to eat something, it's almost midday."

"Already?"

"Yes. Let's go." - He said as he moved towards the door.

"Liam?"

"What?" - He turned to me, arching an eyebrow.

"Do you know anything about Harry yet?"

"No."

"But didn't you leave your phone to the nurses so they could keep us updated? It's been four days! You should have gotten news already."

Liam sighed, resting on the frame door with tired eyes.

"I lied, Louis. It'd have been too risky to do that."

"What?" - I blinked. - "Are you joking? I need to know if he is okay! I can't live with this guilt! It's killing me."

"Well, I'm protecting you. And you shouldn't have any more contact with that accident. You should completely forget about him and move on. We need to clear your name, remember?" - He emphasized the last word. - "And we're starting today."

🚲

I spent the rest of the day thinking about maybe calling the hospital anonymously. Or maybe pay someone else to call for me. I just needed to know if Harry had made it. If he had woken up.
But I also knew Liam was right, I couldn't risk it. My career was on the line.

I had enough with that stupid lawsuit that some 'fan' filed against me a week ago. A lawsuit with an accusation that quickly became viral even if it was bullshit. So, if I had another one now, it was going to make it even worse, my reputation would fall to the ground.

I needed to be completely focused on cleaning my name, on not spreading any rumors, on behaving and laying low for a while. No more scandals for you for at least a year, Louis, my management team had said. 

But that didn't mean I was going to forget about Harry. I could never do that. 
We're talking about a real human being here, one that I hurt. 

Nobody could ask me not to care.

And I guess you could tell by the way of how miserable I looked, even while on my dressing room waiting to start the interview, even with make up on. Worry was probably written all over my face.
And for that, Liam punched my shoulder with a little too much force.

"Snap out of it, you've been zoning out all day."

"Sorry, I feel guilty." - I pouted.

"I know. But Louis, you need to focus. We're playing with fire here. I need your best smile today. You can't let Ellen talk about the lawsuit. I don't want your name and the word lawsuit in the same sentence, you hear me? If she asks, you have to tell her that you can't speak about that without your lawyer because it's an open case. Try to change the subject, talk about your music, the tour, make up a new fucking relationship for all I care. But nothing about the trial. Don't even think of it, okay?"

"Yes, I know, Liam." - I rolled my eyes.

"You better."

Just then, one of the producers knocked on the door of the dressing room, letting us know we'd be going live in five minutes.

"Louis, try to keep your mouth shut." - Liam warned once more.

"I'll try my best."

🚲

When Ellen finally announced my name, I stepped into the studio.
The live audience clapped, and I waved cordially at them as I moved towards the lounge.
Taking my seat in front of Ellen's, I turned to the audience once more, flashing them my best smile as Liam required.

"Louis Tomlinson, you are finally here!"

"Yes, thank you for the invite. I'm glad to be sharing today with all of you."

"We are glad to have you." - She smiled.

"Thanks." - I smiled back at her.

"So, tell us. You are here to promote your newest album, right?"

"I am, yes." - I flashed the audience and the cameras another cheeky smile. - "I released my new album two weeks ago, and I can't wait for you to hear it."

"Are you going to sing us anything today?"

"Of course, anything for you, Ellen." - I winked at her, causing her to laugh.  - "I'll be performing two of my new songs, and maybe one of the old ones that you already know."

"I'm looking forward to it. But first, I think there are some serious news that we need to address. You've been all over the news lately, something happened last week, and we found out that you've been accused of physical assault to one of your fans. Is this right?"

"I really shouldn't speak about that. Sorry." - I smiled.

"So, it is true."

"I really can't speak about it, Ellen."

"How did it happen? The fan says that you punched him in the face and injured him pretty badly. Is that right?"

"No, it's not." - I forced yet another smile. - "And I'm sorry Ellen, I'm not here to talk about this. I'm here to talk about my music and my new tour dates which will be announced tonight after the show!" - I changed the topic and quickly the audience erupted in cheers.

"Sure, forgive me." - Ellen smiled again. - "What can you tell us about your new record, then? What inspired it?"

So, the interview went on until I made my performance.
I actually wasn't in the greatest mood and it was taking up a lot of effort to maintain the smile in my face. My band noticed, and I'm sure the fans did too. So, I ended up very frustrated.
During the commercial break, Liam came to talk to me, telling me that I was doing great, and that I just needed to smile some more.

I took a deep breath and closed my eyes. There, in my little moment of inner focus behind my eyelids, I saw Harry. I saw Harry in his hospital bed, the memory of him looking peaceful and alive.
And somehow, it was enough to ease my mind too.