22. No memories

Everyone laughed so loud we almost didn't hear a phone ringing.

Almost...

Malik's phone started ringing. Everyone looked at him, as he ignored the call.

"What? Family time comes first." he said his face blank.

Everynone smiled happy. Malik was always very carefully when it came to emotions. He was taught not to show any weakness. But the group knew how much they meant to him. They didn't need any confirmation from him.

"So how were your memories at arabic school Jasmine." Asyia asked Jasmin, because she noticed she barley spoke sice the began chatting.

Do you remember how i have told you, that the contact with the al-Ghâr family and the other four families was broken for five years?
Because of that gap Omar and Jasmine didn't share those memories with the others. They weren't with them at that time.

Everyone went quiet.
Nobody said anything.
All their faces looked serious, with a hint of regret.
Asiya noticed and wanted to break the awkward silence when Jasmine started talking.

"Eh...ehm I-i was, i mean we weren't." she tried to explain but Omar suddenly cut her off.

"There were no memories." he said clenching his jaw and fists.

"That's enough for today. C'mon Jasmine let's go home." he stood up and with him Jasmine following behind.

"Wait Omar. Don't do that man. Just stay." Hussein tried to hold him back from leaving.

Ring Ring Ring

Malik's phone started ringing again.
"Uff..." Malik said when seeing the caller ID.

"Omar you might wan't to stay a little longer. This might be interesting." Malik said, raising his eyebrow while Omar stood in his tracks.

Phonecall is in arabic.

"Alo? (Hello?)"

"Hmm..Malik. In the garden."

"Yes. Yes everyone."

"Now? Ok. We'll be there."

Malik hung up.

"What is it?" Hassan asked serious all of the sudden.

"C'mon boys. We got company at the shawarma store."

Immediatly every guy stood up, not waisting a minute.

Omar went out the garden and made another call. And Malik whispered something into Hassan's ear, wich resulted with him nodding afterwards.

The As-Sultân family had a shawarma store, named Sultan-Shawarma. But it was all a cover up for the actual family-buissness. At the back of the store, there were sevral rooms where they would 'seal the deal'.
It was always a hotspot for trouble and delicious meat in bread.

"Those pathetic pricks. How dare they. I'll break every last bone in their body." Moe said cracking his fingers.

Anwar chuckeld looking at Moe.

"Woah there...Don't get ahead of yourself. We got this you need to stay with the girls anyways." Hussein said.

Of course he would say that. Always thinking about our safety.

Moe looked visibly upset.

"You'll get the chance to prove yourself. Don't worry." Hassan said holding the shoulder of his little brother.

All the girls had a horrofied expression on their faces. Malik noticed.

"It's nothing big. We gon be just back up IF somethings going down. But it won't." he tried to reasure us.

At this moment Omar came back.
"The 'tools' are on their way. We meet the others in the middle."

I know exactly what 'tools' meant.

"What? G-guns!? Why guns? I-i thaught it would be just routine..." i said worried taking a step towards the boys.

At that moment Anwar took more steps towards me to hold both of my shoulders in his hands looking me deep in the eyes.
"Hey... I said it's gon' be alright. Ok. Don't worry."

It somehow calmed me down.

The all went out when we heard Hussein's last word bevore they drove away.

"Ey Moe stay here, we gon send someone soon to drive the girls home. Salam."

So Omar, Malik, Anwar, Hassan and Hussein left a bunch of worried girls and a hyperactive Moe back in the garden in the middle of the cold december. The whole thing felt so off...

-------------------🌙-------------------