... The Final Chapter

Laura's POV

Over a week has passed and thanks to Bonnie all the ghosts are gone. They've all returned to the Other Side where she promises those like Esther and Mikael will never come back again, at least in this lifetime.

The good news of never seeing these ghosts again comes with great sadness, because it also means we'll never see those we love again. Alaric, Jeremy, Aunt Jenna and Lexi are those we'll never see again. But I know they're watching over us somewhere. It's a sad thought but I hope that each of them find peace some day.

With our enemies vanquished, the dangers that surround me have also vanquished. Life seems to have gone back to the norm as well, everything seems fine now. Every one of us has graduated and we are in the moment of celebrating life after high school.

Life is a bliss.

But we all know that Fate likes to screw us over in our happiest moment. And that's what I'm afraid of.

Unfortunately there's still one problem left; Katherine.

That night she disappeared without a trace and Klaus has people searching all over town for her and nothing has come up yet. It's unsettling. I just know that that night wasn't the end of it and the worse has yet to come.

With no idea where or what she's plotting, I've become restless and worried on days end. Thanks to that I keep waking up in the middle of the night from the recurring nightmares where Katherine comes and steals my baby. And because of it I often end up sleeping in the nursery room with Niko just to feel at ease.

That aside...

It's only been a week but I think Klaus and I are doing great as co-parents. We're splitting the tasks evenly and Klaus isn't shirking his responsibilities as a dad. He's actually taking it very seriously and I think he enjoys being a stay home dad. He gives Niko his bath and even reads him bedtime stories. It's quite a funny sight really.

Stefan and Elena are occasionally helping out but they mainly leave me and Klaus to handle the parenting. My friends would stop by everyday to keep me company, but it's really their excuse to fawn over my baby. Though I appreciate it.

So today, like any other day, Caroline and Bonnie have come over to hang out with us again. Right now we're hanging out in the nursery room after they caught me breastfeeding. My broken rib and c-section cut are healed, thanks to some vampire blood, so I'm able to hold Niko over my stomach without it hurting. He's happily sucking on my breast with his eyes closed but his mouth is moving so quick that I find myself smiling at him. He reminds me of those baby videos where they're falling asleep and eating at the same time.

Soon enough, Caroline starts talking about college life the minute she gets comfortable. "Okay, so what I've been thinking is that when we all get accepted into Whitmore College— which we will!" She claims, holding a firm finger at us. "The three of us will share a dorm room and we can take turns babysitting Niko while you go to classes. I can compile a schedule for us. Oh this is going to be so great." She says proudly.

"Caroline, you do realise I can just leave him with Klaus while I go to school right?" I arch a brow and her smile drops almost instantly. "Yes, I'm aware of that and I'm also aware that I won't be able to see my godbaby as often as I want for the next three years." She says and I share a laugh with the others.

"Well, I appreciate you trying to help Care. But right now I want to put all my time and effort into taking care of Niko first before I can think about college." I look at her apologetically for shooting down her thoughtful suggestion and she pouts. I know how much all of us being together means to her and I feel bad about it but this is what I want.