This Is The Only Way

Hey Guys, 

I'm sorry for leaving this book on air for over 2 months but a lot happened. I was overloaded with work and stress and I was a little depressed for a while but I'm working through it. 

I finally made time to write this chapter and upload it. It's a little rushed but I tried my best to keep it flowing. 

I'll try to wrap this story up so I can focus on other things. Until that day comes I hope you guys keep supporting me. 

Thanks again for the patience. 

<3 <3 <3

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

~ ~ ~ A three days later ~ ~ ~

Laura's POV

Taking even breaths as I start my day standing in front of the mirror of my new bedroom with a forlorn look. I pressed out the hem of my black dress to straighten it out and my heart ached at the same time.

I was wearing my mourning clothes I remembered to take with me before we burnt the house down. After today, I'll be burning it because I don't think I'll be needing it again.

That's what I want to believe but Life is always a jerk.

It's been three days since we burned down the house and news of the fire spread all over the media. Elena and I didn't want to be disturbed by reporters trying to make us the victims of a tragic accident.

We know we are.

Klaus has kindly offered us his home to stay away from prying eyes. He also offered to arrange Jeremy's funeral out of consideration for us. I appreciate all he's doing because we were in no shape to think about arranging our brother's funeral.

I barely slept in the last three days, every time I close my eyes I would see Jeremy's face and I would cry in my sleep. I'm sure my sleep-deprived is making everyone worried about my wellbeing.

Stefan and Caroline suggested I should sit out on Jeremy's funeral but as stubborn as I was, I wanted to be there at his funeral. He was my dear brother, I have to give him a proper goodbye.

I took another even breath and fought the urge to cry again as I stared at my own reflection for a moment. I hooked on my earrings and clipped on my necklace.

Klaus entered the room quietly and I stared at him through the reflection in the mirror. "Everything's all set. We're just waiting for you, love." He informed me.

I nod quietly with a small smile. "Thanks. I'm almost done. Where's Elena?" I asked. "She's waiting in the car." He said. "She hasn't broken down again, has she?" I turned around. "Not yet she hasn't but she will." Klaus answered.

I had a look of melancholy and stood still for a moment. "Thank you for doing this." I said referring to his hand in Jeremy's funeral. Klaus responded with a smile. "Anything for you, love." I gave him a look and grabbed my cardigan from the chair next to me.

"Let's go." I walked up to the door and he blocked it with his body. Klaus looked at me carefully with a concerned look. "You don't look so good." He said and I breathed a sigh. "I'm fine, Klaus."

"No, you don't." He said firmly and refused to let me pass. "What you should prioritize right now is your health, yours and our child. Everyone will understand if you're not there. Jeremy will understand."

Appreciating how much he cares for me, I gave him an appreciative look. "I know, and I promise you I'll take better care of myself. Just give me this one chance to say goodbye to my brother. Please."