Doctor's Diagnosis

Laura's POV

It's been weeks since Elena shut off her humanity. She's no longer the sister I knew. She's become cold and unfeeling. She no longer has compassion for anyone. It is one of the things that made her who she is.

That's the thing about humanities, I guess. Once you shut it off, there's nothing for you to feel compassion for. You don't have the ability to care about anything or anyone anymore.

Just the other night, Elena killed a couple having midnight rendezvous at the park. She fed on them and killed them in cold blood. It's unfortunate to say Stefan and Damon were left to bury their bodies.

"We're gonna lose her, Damon."

Stefan's voice pulled me out of my thoughts and I turned to the boys' conversation in the parlour. "She needs time. It's only been a couple of days." Damon dismissed the issue as he casually walked over to the liquor stash.

Stefan and I stayed behind him a couple of steps. I watched Damon carefully with a sharp look. His reaction to my problems was bothering me and I was this close to snapping at him.

"Her humanity's off. She's basically numb to everything that makes her who she is." Stefan tried to get his brother to take this seriously, noticing how much discomfort I was in.

But as always, Damon continued his indifference as he poured himself a glass of bourbon. "She's a vampire. Off switch is one of the biggest perks. If being undead gets you down..." He snapped his fingers to emphasize.

"Voilà, vampire Prozac." Making his point, Damon took a swig of his bourbon.

Tired and frustrated with his indifference of this serious issue, I set him straight. "Damon, I'd appreciate it if you can take this seriously." I told him.

"I am taking this seriously." He responded in a way that doesn't convince me at all. "Well, then, I must be seeing things or my head is hurting because it doesn't seem like you are." I reprimand him.

"Damon, I don't think you realise how severe this is." I stared at him and continued before he could talk. "My sister is not herself. She killed a couple the other night, in addition to several other bodies you and Stefan had to bury. There are people who should be grieving and they don't even know that."

My voice was shaking weakly because instead of resting as I should be, I'm worried about my sister who's no longer the sister I remember. "I'm exhausted, Damon. I'm still grieving and I'm having this baby. I shouldn't have to be worried about getting my sister's humanity back. I shouldn't have to be worried about some witches coming after me but I am."

Damon looked downcast for his insensitivity as I snapped at him harshly. He took a deep breath before setting down his glass and approached me. "Look, Laura. I get that you're worried about Elena. But you should know the reason she shut it all off in the first place is because the grief was overwhelming her." He told me.

"She took the easy way out." He said.

Of course, she did. I thought to myself. Turning it all off was easier for her while I don't have that option or that luxury to turn it off.

"We need to give her a reason to want to turn it on." Stefan spoke and I turned to him. "How do we do that?" I asked him.

"We'll show her a good time." Damon answered and I turned back to him with uncertainty. "What? How is that going to give her a reason to turn it back on?" I questioned him.

"I know it's controversial but people actually like to have fun." Damon reasoned and I rolled my eyes. I can't believe I thought for a second that Damon could be helpful.