Walking a very thin line

Julie's dormroom at University

Julie's pov

Mike's been bugging me a lot regarding last weekend when he grounded me to my dormroom and forbade me from going to Kevin's party. I'm pretty sure he didn't believe my reason for not responding to his calls and texts that night after 10pm. I told him I fell asleep studying, when in actuality I went to the party.

I knew I'd be in trouble if I didn't immediately respond to his attempts to contact me that night but I didn't care at the time. I just really wanted to go to that party with my roommate Shannon and blow off some steam so I left my cell in our room, knowing he wouldn't be able to track me. We waited 'til around 9:45p to leave. Mike's usually in bed by 10pm so I didn't think it'd be an issue, plus he'd already called and texted me five times that night. The last time being at 9:40pm. Who knew the old guy would set an alarm and text and call me every hour on the hour from 10pm until 3am?

I guess I underestimated our fine surgeon's commitment to enforcing his punishment, despite being almost 200 miles away. Kudos, Dr. Horton. Your dedication to making my life miserable by ensuring I'm not allowed to have any fun is admirable, to say the least.

Up until now, I'd avoided directly speaking to him. The morning after the party, I texted him, sorry I missed your calls but I was really tired so I crashed early and never even heard my phone

Since I sent that text, he's probably called and texted me over twenty times regarding that night. I've texted him a few more times, maintaining the lie that I went to sleep early that night but Mike's more persistent than a dog with a bone so I finally decided to call him to put an end to his incessant questions and badgering about what happened that evening.

Mike picked up after the second ring.

"Hello, darlin', give me just a second."

"Ok." When Mike got back on the call, I said, "Now, don't be mad but I'm not gonna be able to come home this Friday like we talked about." I had originally agreed to come home because I didn't respond to Mike's attempts to contact me last Saturday and he wanted to discuss it in person. I know Mike has his suspicions about what actually happened that night so I can't really argue too much but I'm sure as soon as I get home, the two of us will get into it and I'll end up sleeping on my stomach for the next four nights.

"Don't tell me not to get mad, Julie. I'll decide that all on my own after you explain yourself." I heard Mike sigh and I could picture him rubbing his forehead to alleviate his frustration. "Why exactly can you not come home this Friday?"

"I have some stuff to do around here and honestly..." I paused, debating whether I should say this outloud, "I just don't want to. I mean, I didn't even do anything wrong so why should I have to?"

"You know very well you were grounded last weekend and not allowed to go to that party or anywhere else, for that matter."

"I already told you I missed your calls because I fell asleep studying. I didn't go to the party." I'm starting to get annoyed and I'm pretty sure Mike knows it.

"Julie Elizabeth, don't you dare insult me by lying to me. I know for a fact you were at that party and not entirely sober to boot."

"What do you mean, you know for a fact I was there? What, are you having me followed?" WTF! I left my phone in my room so he couldn't have tracked me and there's no way in Hell Shannon would've ratted me out. I think he's bluffing.

"It's immaterial how I know. The point is you disobeyed me. I specifically told you that you would not be attending that party and furthermore, you were grounded and not to leave your dormroom."