Past sins

At the NJC

Shane's pov

Carrie quickly opened their door.

"Is she alright, Shane?" she asked worriedly, sensing my concern and seeing her sister struggle.

"She'll be alright, sweetheart, I just need her medicine. Do you know where it is?" I tried to sound a little calmer so I wouldn't cause the girls unnecessary worry.

"Uh, I think it's on her dresser," Lisa said, jumping up to grab the bottles.

"Quickly scanning the labels, I deduced the correct one for an immediate attack and asked Lisa to get the pill out while Carrie grabbed me a glass of water. Sitting down on Julie's bed with her still in my arms, I tried to loosen the tight hold she had on the back of my shirt so I could turn her around and get her to take the pill.

Once I finally had her sitting on my lap, pressed into my side with her legs over my knees, I tried to slow her rapid breathing.

"Breathe, sweetheart, breathe. Slow and easy, in and out," I repeated, as I rhythmically stroked her thigh and gently rocked her.

After she calmed down a little, I motioned for Lisa to hand me the pill.

"I need you to open your mouth for me, luv, so you can take your medicine. Ok?"

Julie shook her head no as she clutched my shirt tightly and buried her face against my chest.

"Come on, baby, open up for me. I need you to take your medicine. It'll help you feel better, sweetheart. Please don't fight me on this."

Julie turned her head away from my chest slightly so I took that as my cue that she was ready to cooperate. I pushed the pill between her lips and immediately brought the glass of water up to her mouth.

"Take a drink." She shook her head and tried to turn her face into my chest but I guided her chin back towards me. "Drink, Julie," I said a little more sternly this time, hoping she'd respond to the authority in my voice and thankfully, she did.

After Julie swallowed her pill, she continued to cry uncontrollably. My heart ached seeing my beautiful eighteen-year-old girl broken down in my arms.

"Girls, would you mind giving us some privacy?" Despite phrasing it like a question, the girls knew they didn't have a choice so they obediently got up to leave without argument. "Thank you, ladies. Please turn the light off on your way out."

After Lisa and Carrie left, Stacey asked, "Are you sure she's gonna be okay, Shane? Do you want me to call Dr. Evans?" Stacey was obviously worried about her cousin but she didn't want to let on in front of her sisters.

Hearing Stacey mention calling Marlena, Julie vehemently shook her head and her respirations and heart rate accelerated almost instantly.

"Mike," I heard her softly whine into my chest.

"You don't have to call Dr. Evans, Stacey. I'll stay with Julie until I know she's alright. Ok, luv?" I smiled at my oldest, appreciating the concern she had for her cousin's wellbeing.

"Ok, Shane," Stacey said somewhat sadly, as she flipped the light switch off then gently closed the door behind her on the way out.

"Mike," I heard Julie whine again.

"Mike's in Africa, baby. He'll be home in two days," I reassured her.

It broke my heart to hear Julie cry out for Mike, knowing he can't be here to help her. When she called for him, it served as a painful reminder that I'm probably the cause of Julie's panic attacks, knowing they most likely stem from the trauma of that night I lost control and belted her in the park. How could I have been so cruel? I can now truly appreciate the meaning behind the phrase, the sins of the past always come back to haunt you. It's no wonder she wants Mike to help her instead of me.