You're way off base

At the NJC

Mike's pov

"How did it go with Dr. Curtis, darlin'?" I asked Lisa when she returned from his office. She didn't seem too upset but she certainly didn't look happy either.

"What do you care?" Lisa mumbled, as she tried to brush past me.

Grabbing her by the shoulder before she could get by, I said, "Hey, what was that for? You know I care about you, Lisa. Although, I don't particularly care for your attitude right now."

"Whatever. Just leave me alone." Her words held more sadness than rudeness, which concerned me.

"No, I won't leave you alone." I reached for her arm when she turned to walk away from me. "Come on," I said, leading her to my room. "We obviously need to talk."

Despite the exasperated sigh and eye roll, Lisa followed me quite willingly. Once we reached my room, I told her to take a seat on my bed.

"Now, why don't you tell me what went on in Dr. Curtis's office." Lisa should know I'm not so much asking her for an explanation as I am demanding one.

"Nothing. Ok? It was no big deal. Can I go now?" Lisa sounded quite annoyed.

"No, you may not go and getting arrested is most certainly a big deal, young lady," I said in a tone indicating I'm more annoyed than she is.

"Fine, but haven't I been punished enough? Why do I have to sit here and listen to you pretend like you give a crap, when we both know you don't?"

"Hey! You best check your mouth and your attitude right now because I won't hesitate to belt your sorry behind again. Understand?" I don't know what's going on with this girl but I won't tolerate her disrespect. When Lisa hesitated to respond, I narrowed my eyes and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Yes sir." Lisa wisely decided to heed my warning.

"I most certainly do care. Now tell me what happened when you met Dr. Curtis at the Foundation."

"I just have to go to some business meetings with him for the next two weeks. It's no big deal, like I said." Lisa frowned as she fiddled with her hands in her lap to avoid looking at me.

"He's letting you attend meetings with him?" I asked, speaking more to myself than Lisa. I'm honestly shocked Neil's not only allowing that, but mandating it as well. "You should be honored, Lisa, he doesn't typically let anyone sit in on those meetings. He must really like you."

"Well at least somebody does," she grumbled under her breath.

"Alright, that's it," I said, sitting next to her on my bed so we were face to face. "Why don't you think I like you?"

"Cuz all you want to do is yell at me since I don't act like a baby to get out of my punishments." Lisa failed to mask the frustration and disdain in her tone, making it quite clear how upset she was.

"What the he... heck does that mean?" I stopped myself from escalating the volatility of the situation by moderating my words and volume.

"You guys don't even punish Julie anymore. You let her get away with everything when she acts like a baby." She sounded both sad and angry as she vented.

"First, that's not true and secondly, how we discipline your sister is none of your concern," I said sternly.

Her voice rising in volume, Lisa retorted, "IT IS TRUE! Shane barely even spanked her for the way she acted at dinner the other night. Julie told me that herself. If Carrie, Stacey, or I had acted like that, we wouldn't be able to sit for a week."