Pay attention

Shane's room at the NJC

Julie's pov

Shane reached into one of his desk drawers and pulled out a white box.

Setting it atop his desk in front of me, he asked, "Care to change your answer now?"

Reading the writing on the box, I gulped, quietly letting an expletive slip past my lips, "Shit." At home drug test marijuana 99% accurate results in minutes.

Why does he even have that in his desk? And when the Hell did he get it? Do they have a stockpile of at-home drug testing kits somewhere that I don't know about? Do they sell those in bulk at Costco? Wow, our guardians really don't trust us, do they?

Seeing the at home drug test Shane had just placed on top of his desk, I knew I was screwed. The test would obviously detect the THC in my system as it's only been about eight hours since my friends and I passed those blunts around at the park, taking turns having a toke. This was only the second time I've smoked weed and unfortunately, now it's the first time I've been caught.

Stacey and Lisa had gotten stoned more than a few times at parties but always gotten away with it. I tried it with them once at one of Suzanne's sister's parties but it made me kinda paranoid so up until last night, I resisted trying it again. Stacey used to get high with Sean when they were going out too. I think she told Mike she only tried marijuana once and he believed her. She said he only gave her like ten strokes of his belt as punishment for that. I have a feeling my punishment will be much worse. If it's up to Mike, it most definitely will be. That's not really fair though. I mean, why should I get punished worse for doing the same thing? Granted, she did admit to it as soon as Mike asked but still, that shouldn't be the determining factor.

"Do I need to wash your mouth out with soap before we start this test, young lady?" Shane wasn't happy I let that curse word slip.

"Why? Will that affect the results?" I stupidly voiced the thoughts in my head outloud.

Shane slammed his hands down on the desk as he stood. The loud noise startled me, bringing me back to the matter at hand.

"You're seriously trying my patience, Julie Elizabeth," Shane warned, as he rubbed his forehead in frustration. "I asked you a question. Do I need to take measures to clean up your language?" He sat on the corner of his desk with his arms crossed.

I was honestly hoping he'd ignore my colorful language to focus on the bigger picture here.

"That won't be necessary, sir," I replied quietly, head hanging low. I know Shane's disappointed in me and God if I don't hate that. It's always so much worse to face than his anger.

Shane firmly grabbed my jaw and warned in a low chilling monotone, "Don't you dare disrespect me by avoiding eye contact and watch your language if you don't want me to purify your tongue."

"No, I meant the test won't be necessary," I mumbled nervously, still trying to avoid looking him directly in the eye.

Shane let go of my chin and lightly slapped my face to get my attention.

"Keep your eyes on me when speaking to me and when being spoken to. Last warning," he added, patting my cheek again, a little more firmly this time.

"Yes sir," I said, looking him in the eye and immediately regretting it as my blood ran cold seeing the hard chiseled look on his face. I knew this look well. This look meant a severe punishment was on the horizon, regardless of what I may say or do or how many apologies I may make. The ramifications of my misbehavior were etched in stone now and there was no way to change the outcome.