I've got this

At the NJC

Shane's pov

Mike and I continue to struggle with Julie's intermittent age regression. At times, she is her usual brash smart mouthed eighteen-year-old self but at other times, she is a bratty precocious preschooler. It's honestly exhausting never knowing which Julie you are going to get when you have to deal with her but I try my hardest to be understanding and accommodating, regardless. I know I may very well be the one to blame for her childish behaviour so at the very least, I need to be tolerant.

As the six of us sat down to dinner, I asked the girls what their plans were for the evening. Carrie was spending the night at a friend's house, helping with babysitting her friend's two little brothers. Lisa was hanging out with some of her highschool band friends before they go their separate ways when college starts. Julie was going to a late movie with a few friends from basketball. Stacey was going swimming at a friend's house and then they were going to hang out and binge watch something on Netflix.

"Well, before any of you head out for the night, I expect your room to be cleaned." Mike gave our girls a look they should definitely recognize by now. His I'm not asking you, I'm telling you look that should never be challenged.

Little Julie apparently had other ideas though.

"But I don't wanna clean our room," she whined, crossing her arms and pouting.

Stacey, Lisa, and Carrie looked between her and Mike expectantly, shocked that Julie either didn't recognize Mike's no nonsense look, or simply chose to ignore it. Neither option would end well for her and they were curious to see how this would play out. I hate to admit it but honestly, I'm a tad curious as well.

Mike exhaled loudly, wiping his mouth with his napkin, after setting down his fork. His movements were calculated, exaggerated purposefully for effect.

Looking Julie in the eye, he said, "You will clean your room, or you won't be going anywhere tonight and if you continue to argue, you'll be cleaning with a sore bottom."

"UGGHHHH!" Julie slouched down in her chair. "This is so stupid. I don't wanna clean my room and you can't make me," she smirked, crossing her arms in defiance.

Mike shook his head and chuckled derisively before locking eyes with Julie once more.

"You will clean your room immediately after dinner and that is final," he dictated sternly.

A chill ran through me hearing Mike speak with so much conviction and authority. We all knew not to cross him when he used that tone. Well, all of us except little Julie, I guess.

"Make me," Julie replied snottily in defiance.

Feeling the anger emanating from every fiber of his being, I quickly stopped Mike by grabbing his arm and getting inbetween them as soon as he stood up from his seat to throttle Julie. Turning towards him as he ripped his arm from my grasp, I put my hands on his chest to prevent him from advancing.

"Mike, I've got this," I said sternly.

Julie stuck her tongue out at him, causing him to lunge forward in anger.

Holding him back, I turned to our second oldest and shouted, "JULIE, GO TO MY ROOM RIGHT NOW AND WAIT FOR ME!"

"NO!" Julie yelled, stomping her foot and holding her ground.

"Little girl, if you know what's good for you, you will go to my room right now without saying another word," I warned Julie, as I continued to physically restrain my best mate. Mike's patience with Julie's age regression has clearly worn thin.