Maegan

Two and a half years later

Shane's room at the NJC

Shane's pov

Sean was dropping Maegan off as he had to get to work and Stacey had class. I'd probably end up taking Maegan with me to the Foundation for a few hours. Liz was usually more than willing to take her off my hands and entertain her while I focused on my job.

"Be good for Grampa Shane or he'll spank you," Sean said, as he held Maegan's little hands in his own. Sean plays a little fast and loose with the term spanking. Maegan's only two so I would never give her a proper spanking as she's too young, it's more like just a few swats on the bottom. I'd like to say I hardly ever have to do that but she is definitely Stacey's daughter so I have to correct her behaviour more often than I'd care to admit. She has her mother's stubbornness and her father's untamed rebellion, not a great combination in a toddler, but God bless her, I love her to pieces.

"Ok, Daddy," Maegan replied sweetly.

"And what happens if Grampa Shane has to spank you?" Sean questioned his daughter.

"nother 'pankin' home," Maegan said sadly.

"That's right, baby girl, so behave because Daddy doesn't want to have to spank you when he gets home from work." Sean let go of Maegan's hands and she immediately started to run off until he stopped her. "Hold up. Aren't you forgettin' somethin'?"

Maegan stopped and turned around giving her dad a quizzical look.

"Where's my hug and kiss, beautiful?" Sean smiled and held his arms out wide. Maegan went rushing to him and giggled as Sean picked her up hugging her tightly while showering her cheeks with loud sloppy kisses. Putting her down, he gave her little bum a couple pats and said, "I'll see you tonight, sweetheart. Be good."

"Bye, Daddy. Wuv you," Maegan said, as she ran over to the box of toys I keep in my room for her.

"Thanks again for watching her, Admiral Donovan, I really appreciate it."

"You don't have to thank me for watching my grandbaby, Sean. You know Mike and I are always happy to help."

"I know, sir, I just hate to have to put you out all the time." Sean looked down as he fidgeted, seemingly ashamed. "I mean, she's our responsibility not yours and I just feel bad depending on you guys all the time." Sean continued to avoid my gaze.

"Sean," I said sternly, wanting him to look me in the eye. Once he did, I continued, "Maegan is part of our family now and taking care of family is never an imposition. Understand?"

"Yes sir, thank you," Sean said sheepishly, still slightly embarrassed to have to rely on Mike and I so much.

I'm glad Sean is taking his responsibility as a father seriously but I don't want him to ever let his pride get in the way of doing what's best for Maegan. Whenever I look at him or Stacey, I still see them as kids first and parents second. They're just children themselves, for chrissake. How are they supposed to raise a child? Mike and I aren't even done parenting Stacey yet. I had to spank her just last week for her piss poor attitude. How in the world can she be a parent herself?

Shaking my head, I sigh and say, "You better get going, Sean, you don't want to be late for work." I held the door open for him on his way out.

"Okay, thanks again, Shane." Sean called out to Maegan one more time before heading out, "Bye, baby. Be good. Love you."

"Bye, daddy," Maegan shouted, not even bothering to look at her father as she continued her search for the perfect toy.

I considered admonishing her for not looking at her father while speaking to him but thought better of it as Sean was already gone and my message would most likely be lost on the busy toddler anyhow.