You will apologize

Julie's dormroom

Lisa's point of view

As soon as the others left, Mike's tone became gravely serious.

"Lisa, I owe you an apology. I'm so sorry I told you to leave, sweetheart."

"It's okay," I said sadly without even looking up, even though it most certainly wasn't okay. I was so hurt by what Mike did.

"No, Lisa, it's not okay. You're my daughter and I love you and I will never give up on you. Well, never again anyway because that's precisely what I did when I told you to leave and find another place to live. I never should have done that, Lisa, and I'm sorry."

"When I first left I was really angry at both of you but then after we got here last night and everyone was asleep and I was just lying here on the floor staring at the ceiling, I felt really alone and I got really sad thinking you and Shane didn't want me around anymore cuz I was too much of a bother and you didn't care about me." I stared down at my hands, avoiding the pained look on Mike's face.

"I'm so sorry, darlin'." Hearing Mike's voice crack, I looked up to see a tear roll down his cheek.

"I guess I don't really want to be on my own as much as I thought," I replied sadly.

Mike pulled me into the warmest hug I've probably ever received.

Rubbing my back, he said, "I'm glad, baby girl, because you're not going anywhere..." Patting my bottom he warned, "...aside from home where you will apologize to Shane and we'll discuss your punishment for disrespecting him." Cupping my chin, Mike looked me in the eyes, "Alright?"

As much as I hate knowing what I'll have to face when we get home, it is unavoidable afterall. It would've been nice to postpone it for at least a couple more days but life is never that easy so I answered properly, "Yes sir."

Private study room

Julie's pov

Dr. Curtis said he wanted to speak to Carrie and I in private so I led them to one of the private study rooms in my dorm.

"I'd like to know why neither of you could be bothered to phone your guardians to inform them of Lisa's whereabouts when you knew Michael was looking for her." Dr. Curtis stood with his arms crossed and his eyes ablaze.

Carrie looked white as a ghost and appeared to be rendered speechless so I responded, "Ummmm." I bit my lower lip as I tried to think of any explanation that wouldn't anger him, but I was drawing a blank.

"Julie Elizabeth, I strongly suggest you add an English course to your curriculum if that's the best reply you can muster." Dr. Curtis's nostrils flared as his patience waned.

Avoiding the piercing glare emanating from his humorless eyes, I mumbled, "I don't have a good reason for not telling Mike that Lisa was here, sir."

"Perhaps some time spent in my office bent over my couch would provide some clarity on what motivates your behaviour, young lady. Do you agree?"

Yikes.

"I hope that won't be necessary, sir," I stated nervously, as the sound of my rapidly beating heart echoed in my ears.

Giving me a disapproving frown, Dr. Curtis turned his attention to Carrie.

"And you, young lady..." Hands on his hips he admonished my baby sister, "What's your excuse for not informing Michael where you were going?"

Carrie's cheeks flushed with embarrassment from being chastised by Dr. Curtis. She nervously picked at her fingernails on her left hand while biting the inside of her bottom lip.