I wouldn't dream of it

Graduation day

Lisa's pov

"Congratulations, girls, we are so proud of you." Dr. And Mrs. Curtis gave each of us a hug while handing us a card and a dozen white roses. Mike continued to take more pictures of all of us in our caps and gowns with our diplomas.

"Dr. and Mrs. Curtis you shouldn't have," Julie protested, as she started to tear-up. "You've already taken us in, provided for all our needs, and most importantly given us a home."

Dr. Curtis pulled Julie into a side hug, rubbing her back and wiping her tears.

"Now now, none of that," he said, handing her some tissues. "This is a happy occasion and every child has the right to be fed, clothed, and sheltered in a safe environment, Julie. We don't need any gratitude for providing those essentials."

"Now, I want you girls to promise me you'll treat yourselves with this money. Don't you dare think about saving it or spending it on something practical," Mrs. Curtis said, smiling sweetly.

"We promise," my sisters and I echoed, thanking her and her husband for their extremely generous gift. I for one, can't wait to blow these Benjamins on something completely decadent and frivolous.

"I think you can each put some of that away for college," Mike said sternly, as if he could read our minds.

"Michael, don't you dare contradict me." Mrs. Curtis made us each giggle as she tried unsuccessfully to harshly reprimand our guardian while wagging her finger in his face. She's just too sweet to be strict and punitive.

"I wouldn't dream of it, ma'am. I apologize," Mike smirked, as he played along.

"Wise decision, son." Dr. Curtis grinned, patting Mike on the back. "Wise decision," he repeated playfully.

"We better get going, our reservation is in twenty minutes," Shane said, checking the time on his phone.

After leaving the school, we all enjoyed a fabulous meal at our favorite Italian restaurant. When the waiter brought out our dessert, Mike discreetly handed me the small gift bag we had for Dr. and Mrs. Curtis.

"What's this, sweetheart?" Mrs. Curtis asked, as I handed her the bag.

"It's a thank you from me and my sisters for all you and Dr. Curtis have done for us since we first arrived at the NJC," I said, smiling in anticipation of their reaction to our gift.

"Oh my word! Luv, look at this," Mrs. Curtis said pleasantly shocked, as she handed the gift to her husband.

We got them a weekend away at a quaint bed and breakfast upstate, a thank you card, and a small engraved wooden wall plaque for Dr. Curtis's office that read: Only lead with a firm hand when a soft heart is your guide.

"The hook on it is to hang your paddle so you don't have to keep it in your desk drawer anymore," I said blushing, as I looked down, too embarrassed to meet his eyes.

"Although now that we'll be grown and away at college out of your hair, you probably won't need it as much anymore," Stacey said cheekily, grinning broadly.

Dr. Curtis replied, "Oh, darlin', don't worry, you'll never be too grown up for my paddle to provide correction when necessary. Just ask your guardians." He winked at the boys.

"This was so sweet and yet so unnecessary," Mrs. Curtis said, referring to the brochure for the bed and breakfast, while ignoring her husband's facetious remark.

"Yes quite, but thank you, girls, I love it," Dr. Curtis said, standing to give us each a hug and a kiss. Hugging Michael, he whispered in his ear, "Son, you shouldn't have spent your money on us."