Excuses

School was finally over and you were currently walking out of the building and heading for the train station for work.
You already had your work uniform as well as your non slip shoes, in your bag.
You felt someone grab your wrist and pull you away, into a corner outside of the school building.

"Yes Renjiro?"

"Look I know your mom said you had to cook for dinner and all of that, but what if I come over after? Your parents love me, come on."

You winced at the pain. He was holding your wrist a little too tight.
"Um..I don't know, you know how they feel about you coming over on a school night.."

Renjiro came closer to your face, you could feel his hot breath on your cheek as he whispered in your ear.
"I can always sneak in, not like we haven't done that before."

You pulled away from him. You hated when he got like this, pushy.
He was always pushing you to do things that you just didn't want to do, and it bothered you.

"Not tonight okay.." You tried to pull away more and escape his grip as you were scared to be late for work.

"Come on Y/n! You're such tease, you know that right? Like I have a reputation to keep and well..People are asking-"

"Asking what?"

He frowned at your sudden anger, he finally let you go.
"I'm the captain of the basketball team Y/n, I have things that are expected of me and here you are, being the tease you always are."

"I'm not a tease..I'm sorry you feel that way but I'm not just gonna put out for you to benefit you and your school image.."

Renjiro clicked his tongue. "I don't know why I'm with you, I'd thought you'd be just like Emiko..Guess I was wrong." He then walked away, not letting you get a word back at him.

His words hit home for you. If there was one thing you hated, was being compared to Emiko. Yes she was your best friend, but you always lived under her shadow. Always having people be like "Oh you're Emiko's friend right?"
"Oh you're nothing like Emiko."
"You should smile more like your friend."

Everything bothered you about your friendship with her, and yes you've questioned it a couple of times but here you still were. Being her best friend.
You two were really close growing up, but now things had changed and you were still trying to live in that past, holding onto it with every ounce of strength.

You sighed in defeat and continued on your way to the train station, not realizing the two cats standing there who just heard every word that Renjiro had to say.

"I really hate that guy." Kuroo spoke.

Kenma nodded. "She doesn't deserve that.."

Kuroo looked to his best friend and hummed in agreement.
"Should we say something?"

"I think that would only cause more problems for her..we should just stay out of it for the time being.."

Kuroo adjusted his bag that was hung over his shoulder.
"I'm gonna talk to my sister about it, I don't care." He then stormed off towards the gym.

Kenma sighed.
He looked over to your walking figure, watching you take big steps like you were in a hurry.
He hates how people treat you, and how you react to it.

****
Arriving to your workplace, you were thankfully not late, but just making it on time.
You quickly changed and relieved the girl of her shift, logging into the systems to start your night.

Tonight was going to be a bit longer of a shift.
You wouldn't be getting home will past eleven but you didn't mind.
Usually when you worked long shifts like this, you'd walk away with more tips.

You kept thinking about what Renjiro had said to you, and how it made you feel.
You even questioned as to why he's dating you in the first place.

Back in your first year of high school, Emiko was getting to know everyone as a new chapter in her life was blooming.
Back then, she had introduced you and Renjiro after Kuroo introduced them together, since Kuroo was stuck with him as partner in a class.  Back then he didn't mind the guy, but he seemed to be getting closer to his little sister in an uncomfortable way that he didn't like. He also got weird vibes from the guy that made him question who he was a person.

Emiko never told you, but she was a little upset that Renjiro immediately took a liking to you and grew closer to you and not her.
Renjiro liked how you held yourself, always smiling, and being shy. He found it incredibly cute. The total opposite of Emiko.
He liked innocent girls.

He was nice and a bit shy back then, which made you fall for him instantly. He was caring and always taking your feeling into consideration.

But.. He had joined the basketball team right after he confessed to you.
You were excited and curious as he would be your first boyfriend. You didn't even have feelings for him but with him being the first person ever to confess to you, you accepted his confession and grew feelings for him as you two became closer with a relationship.
But..the relationship changed as your first year, and his second year, came to end.

He started to change from the people he hung around with, the quiet, sweet guy you met was gone. Now replaced with a boy with no morals or self control.

And yet you stayed.
Maybe it was out of fear?
Or because you didn't want to believe that someone could change like he did, and hoped that you could bring back the Renjiro you used to be in love with.

Emiko would always tell you how lucky you were to have a guy like Renjiro, and would always boost up your confidence and made you forget any bad things between you and him. Because in your mind, a girl like you was lucky to be dating someone like him.