The Truth Comes Out

"I know for a fact that my best friend is sleeping with my boyfriend."

Kenma stared at you in surprise.
"W-what did you just say?"

You sighed.
"I've known for a while too...the evidence is there.. And I'm not stupid..I'm an observant person.."

Kenma stayed silent, just staring at you is disbelief.
"W-why?"

You smiled to him. "I'm sorry for telling you.. And going on about it.. We're not even close and I step out of line on that one.."

Kenma still said nothing.
Right now he was trying to process everything. So many questions he wanted answers for but couldn't think of a way to form a full sentence.

You looked back at Kenma and raised an eyebrow, he was staring at you but his eyes told you that he was lost in thought.

"I'm sorry Kozume.. I over stepped and now I have you feeling bad or something.." You became flustered at the thought that you upset Kenma with your rant.

You stood up and went to turn for the door but Kenma grabbed your wrist.

"You don't need to be sorry..."He spoke softly.

You looked down to him and gave him a smile.
"If I made you uncom-"

"I'm happy that you told me..."

"Y-you are?"

Kenma nodded.
"You're right, we aren't that close, but we've known each other for a long time...I do consider you as a friend.."

You smiled a genuine smile to Kenma.
"Thank you Kozume..."

"Kenma."

"I'm sorry?"

"You can call me Kenma.."

You took back your seat next to him.
"Okay, Kenma.. You can call me Y/n."

He nodded.
"Um.. Wanna play against me this time?" He motioned toward the TV.

You smiled and shook your head.
"Sure!"

As Kenma started a new game, he still let his thoughts run through his mind.
He wanted to know why.
Why be with him if you knew he was cheating?
Why stay being friends with Emiko?
Why continue to smile even though you're in great pain.
Why do you always apologize?
Just...why?

Kuroo had returned with some instant ramen he made for the three of you, and yes even though you said you weren't hungry, he wasn't gonna eat in front of you.

The three of you took a break from playing games and ate your food.
Kenma had decided on keeping silent with the whole cheating thing, he wouldn't want to bring that up without your consent.. Especially since it involved his sister...

But if Kenma was being honest, he felt a bit happy to know that you felt comfortable to tell him that in confidence, even you said yourself, you two aren't even close.
He wanted to change that.

****
The weekend had come and gone, you had a great time with Kuroo and Kenma on Saturday, you stayed for most of the day till Emiko came home.

She was shocked to see you but you only gave her a smile.
You didn't even say one word to her, only walking past her and out the door.

You also ignored any texts you received from Emiko or Renjiro.
You had another talk with Kenma, just before you left.

Flashback:

"Y/n... I-I have a question.."

"What is it?"

"How long have you known... About.. Ya know.."

"A long time.. About the middle of summer...Emiko would show off hickys  to me, or tell me about the guy she was after, but recently, a conversation like that hasn't come up... And she's been hiding but not hiding her hickys.."

"It's almost like she wants you to know.."

"That's what I'm thinking..."

"Which brings me to another question..."

You waited for Kenma to talk.

"Why stay by their side?"

You sighed.
"I don't know exactly... Maybe because there's still a part that hoped the old them will return to me? Maybe in hopes that being kind will make them come to their senses...stupid I know.."

"That's not really working out... They just walk all over you y/n..."

"I know..."

"Then why?"

You shrugged. "I've known Emiko since we were in middle school...and I do love Renjiro...but the old Ren is who I fell in love with..."

"You're scared to be alone..." Kenma stated.

You nodded your head. "I guess that's a good way to put it... Yeah.. I'm afraid that I'll be alone.."

Kenma stayed silent as he blinked at you.

"It was always made clear to me that I was lucky to have Renjiro as a partner and Emiko as a best friend...I guess... It was just burned into my brain that I would never have a change to be lucky like I am now..."

"Abuse isn't lucky y/n..and I'm sorry that you feel that way.. But you won't be alone... You have Kuroo and I."

You smiled to Kenma.
"Thank you...I guess when I say these things out loud they sound stupid huh?"

"A little yeah.. But that's how you feel right? I'm not gonna tell you how you can and cannot feel.."

End of flashback.

You found yourself staring at the ceiling as you woke up Monday morning, replaying over and over what you'll do this morning at school.

You were done wearing your heart on your sleeve for those who abuse it.
You were done with feeling guilty for no reason.
You were done with putting a fake smile to benefit Renjiro or Emiko.

Love made you blind.
You didn't realize till your talk with Kenma on Saturday just how much of in an emotional abuse relationship you were in.
You were the one to always apologize first.
You were the one who would smile through the pain.

You were the one who would put in the effort, and the moment you didn't do something that he wanted... You were in the wrong and names would be called, and yet you stayed.
Through it all you stayed and put up with the abuse because you thought that you could change people...

You and Renjiro were done.