First Work Meeting

"So tell me, how is everything going?" Kenma spoke from his seat that was at the end of a very long table.

Today was Friday, and from what Kenma told you, Friday is the day that the group meeting his held.
Everyone from all the departments talk about how the production of the new game is coming along and use this time to critic and bounce ideas.

"Well, we have the voice actors established now." A girl with red hair said.

Kenma nodded. "Okay and how's the dialogue? the story progression?"

"It's good Kozume-san, We have had great completion with the first half of the script. Should be ready for the voice actors to start recording as soon as next month." Another one said.

"Perfect..ahead of schedule..I like it..and what about the design? I heard there was trouble with a colour palette?"

Fuji was the one to speak. "Well, after going through a few and comparing to our other games, we've finally come to a decision."

"That's good..And how are the character designs?"

Fuji and Taka went quiet.

Kenma looked over to you, waiting for an answer.
You rolled you eyes to the two and spoke up.
"Being honest, Ken-*Clears Throat.* Kozume-san..The guidelines for the characters and how you want them to look hasn't been very helpful..The description doesn't really leave us room to design..Maybe if you drew up something or gave us more ideas, we can get it started and work on it faster.."

Fuji and Taka looked at you with their mouths open. You said what they wanted to but they were too scared to speak up. That made you frustrated at your team.

Kenma hummed. "Okay, Taka-san? Fuji-san? Are you okay with working on the backgrounds?'

The both nodded. "Yes Sir."

"Okay then it's settled. Y/n, come to my office after the meeting, we'll go over some ideas and then I'm putting you in charge for each of the chapter designs, we can discuss your deadline later."

You tried to keep your mouth from dropping.

Did he really just put that all on me? I mean the character design is a big part of the game..I mean..me? Taka and Fuji have been working here a lot longer than me and..I'm new..The hell Kenma!

"So would anyone like to add anything? Or ask questions?"

Fuji raised his hand.
"If I may sir..Uh..L/n-san here is new, and she doesn't have a lot of experience with this just yet..wouldn't you think someone else who has more experience do the character de-"

"Have you personally seen her art?" Kenma retorted.

"No sir, I have not."

"Well I have, and sure she's new, but being new doesn't say if you're bad or not. She has talent and I want her to design the characters, besides...she was the only one brave enough to tell me the struggle you three have been having..With no communication we'll have a failed game."

Fuji slumped in his seat a bit, nodding his head to Kenma, but also giving you a death glare in the process.

Your eyes drooped to the papers in front of you, feeling a bit embarrassed but also angry.

So..he doesn't think I have the talent to do it huh?

Kenma stood up from his seat. "That's all for today, get some food and back to work everyone. L/n.." He motioned you to follow him.

You grabbed your papers and went to walk out the door to meet Kenma, but not without over hearing a few whispers.

"I see Kozume has a favourite."

"Is she even talented..I mean..Look at her.."

"Kozume deserves someone better.."

"You think she's sleeping with him to get this promotion?"

"I wouldn't doubt it." Fuji was the last one you heard speak.
And to be honest, it broke your heart.

****

You stayed quiet the whole way to Kenma's office, gripping your papers and computer tight in your hands, to the point where your knuckles were turning white.

Kenma ushered you into his office and you took a seat where you normally would when you visited him.
"K-Kenma?"

He hummed in response.

"I-I don't think I should be the one in charge of the characters.."

He raised an eyebrow. "Why's that? Are you doubting your skills as an artist?"

You shook your head. 'It's not that exactly..it's what everyone said behind my back that makes me doubt.."

"Said behind your back?"

"Kenma..I don't think its a good idea for me to be working here..As much as I appreciate you giving me this opportunity..I just can't handle the side comments about us.."

Kenma crossed his arms and let out a sigh through his nose. "I'm sorry Y/n..But I want you to know that you are talented..and I want you to do theses characters because I've seen your work, the three characters in your portfolio that looked like me, you and Kuroo..were amazing..."

"The rumour is spreading too.."

"Rumour?"

"That I'm sleeping with you to get a promotion..."

He rolled his eyes. "I'll try and put a stop to that.." His face because bright red as he turned around in his chair, facing the window.

"I wanna resign.." You finally said.

He turned back around fast. "No."

You raised an eyebrow. "I'm sorry?"

"I won't let you Y/n..who cares what they say, it's just talk..You know and I know that we're friends..and if people don't like it, well then sucks to be them okay? Y/n..I'm not letting you throw away a career that you worked so hard to get."

You slumped down in the chair, nodding to his words.
"I'm sorry..I just don't like-"

"I know y/n..I know..how about you work in here from now on? It gets lonely in here at times, it'd be nice to have someone in here with me."

You looked into his hazel eyes. Feeling yourself get lost in them.

"Wouldn't that make things worse?"

"Who cares, we're friends and have been since high school..It would make sense why I favourite you."

"You shouldn't favour people Kenma.."

He smirked. "It's kinda hard when you're the one working for me."