Unnoticed

School had finally ended and you sighed as you stared at the homework that was assigned. Mentally taking notes with how much you could complete on your break so you wouldn't have to do so much after work.

You then also remembered that your dad offered to pick you up from work which will give you more time to work it before going to bed.
The thought made you smile.

"What's got you smiling?" Emiko said as she walked next to you.

"Oh um..nothing in particular.." You lied.

She rolled her eyes.
"Oh look, it's Renjiro!" She yelled, her mood going from sassy to excited.

You waved to Renjiro as he walked over to the two of you, throwing an arm around your shoulders and giving Emiko a wink.
"You coming to my practice baby?'" He asked you.

You felt yourself flinch and tried to come up with another lie.
"I'm sorry..but I have to help my dad when I get home..he didn't say what but it sounded urgent this morning.."

Renjiro clicked his tongue. "Alright fine." He then took his arm off of your shoulders.

You felt immense guilt inside of you.
"But I don't have anything tomorrow, so I'll come tomorrow okay?"
You mentally remembered your schedule and hoped that you wouldn't be called in on your day off.

"Sure, whatever." He scoffed.

"I'm gonna head home, i'll see you love birds later." Emiko said as she left your side and walked away.

"What's your problem today huh?"

"I'm sorry?" You asked him.

"You seem distant and just like off.."

You shoulders dropped slightly. 
"I'm sorry.."

"Stop apologizing."  He rolled his eyes.

You looked away from him, feeling your eyes start to burn from the tears fighting their way out of your tired eyes.

"I gotta go, can I come over after practice? Or are you gonna make an excuse for that too?" He shot at you.

"I don't know..not to-"

"I figured..yeah whatever bye Y/n, try and get some sleep so those bags under your eyes go away, they make you look ugly." Renjiro shot at you before storming away from your sight.

Once you knew he was gone you let out the tears you were holding back and exhaled the breath you were holding. "He didn't even ask me where I was at lunch..."

You took a moment to collect yourself before heading towards the train station, but you jumped when someone suddenly tapped your shoulder.
You turned around to see Kenma standing there, he was holding his volleyball shoes in his hand and was looking at you with worry.

You quickly wiped away your tears and smiled to him.
"Oh hey Kozume..you need something?"

He shook his head. 
"I overheard what he said..."

"Oh.." Your eyes dropped to your hands as you started to fiddle with them.

"Are you on your way home?" He asked.

You tried to give him a smile. "Kinda?"

"Kinda?"

You nodded. "There's somewhere I have to go before I go home.."

"Would you like company to the train station?"

You eyed Kenma. This is the most you've seen him talk to you. It seemed very out of character to you.

"Uh, not it's okay, you have volleyball practice right? You should go, I would hate to be the reason why you're late.." You gave him one last smile before taking your leave.

Kenma didn't say anything to you as he watched your figure fade in the distance.
Mentally cursing himself for the second time today.

****

As expected, today at work was just as tiring as the last night.
many people came in to eat and it seemed like the dinner rush didn't want to lift till almost closing.
It was so busy that you didn't get a chance to even have your break.
You had held your customer service smile for too long and you felt that you were about to break any moment here.

But thanks to your co-worker who knows what you're going through with balancing work and school, picked up a few of your tables to help you out.

As the night came to an end, the open sign was off and you were wiping down all the tables, listening to the soft music that played in the background.

"You doing good?" Your co-worker asked you.

You nodded. "I'm good, just tired from how busy it was."

She nodded along with you. "Good tips for us though!"

You smiled and agreed. "That's what makes the dinner rush worth it honestly."

Your co-worker and you shared more small talk as you both finished with cleaning, unfortunately, the rush had made you guys leave almost an hour later than you were supposed to. It was nearing midnight.

You bid goodbye to your co-worker and saw your dad's car, he rolled the window down and waved to you.
"How was work?" He asked as you got in the passenger side.

"Long."

"I bet, I'm sorry."

You smiled to him with tired eyes. "I'm just glad to be going home now..."

"Do you have homework?"

You let out a groan, remembering that you did and now you'd have to finish it all before going to sleep.
Your plan for doing it on your break was a bust.

Arriving home you changed, showered, ate dinner without your parents and now you were working on your homework.
You were sitting at your desk fight with the urge to sleep as your eyes became more and more heavy.
You were just happy that tomorrow was your day off, but you cursed yourself as you remembered what you promised to Renjiro. You just hoped that he still isn't mad at you.

The time read almost four in the morning.
You had to be up for six.
You made a mental note to yourself that you should wear makeup tomorrow to hide the bags under your eyes, as tomorrow they'd be way worse.