Chapter 47

Trigger Warnings: talk about execution and torture, talk of a WW3, getting shot, hospital

Word Count: 1173

Remus is filming himself as he talks to a random person, asking them to film him and Janus. "I'm planning on proposing to him," he says. "Our family couldn't make the trip and I want to be able to show my brother the video."

"Oh of course!" the person says, taking the camera and flipping it so now they just see Remus. He smiles and goes over to Janus, who's talking with the guide, the camera following them sneakily. Remus grabs Janus' arm and tugs him over to the scaffolding that makes up the execution block. The camera follows them to the front of the crowd gathered around the base. Remus jumps up onto the scaffolding, laughing as he tugs Janus, also laughing, up to stand next to him.

"Gentlefolk, ferals, and domesticated cryptids, all y'all came here today to see was this tower or torture and mediveal stuff, but little did you know you'd also see a proposal!" Remus shouts at the crowd.

"Oh my gods," Janus says, quieter than Remus, but the camera picked it up well.

"I'm Remus King Sanders Duke, and this is my snakey, Janus Devin Hart Sanders Líar. Not related at all, trust me. Shit ton of last names but that's what we get for having sucky parents! But ya know, one more name to that long list doesn't sound so bad, right? And Janus baby, I know all our friends are getting married and like, we've been together for a while so it's time!"

"That better not be all your speech Remus, otherwise this is going to be a short proposal," Janus says with no heat behind it, a soft smile painting his face as the quiet aww's float among the crowd.

"Not even close to being done JJ!" Remus replies with a giggle. "I've known you since we were nine years old, and it's been crazy ever since. We've spray painted churches with Virgil, made some weird-ass art, drunkenly bought a car and a pound of cocaine, gone skinny dipping in the neighbor's pool, gotten beaten up by our parents, nearly died a bunch of times, and some how still managed to survive long enough to have jello shots with vodka in college while getting our degrees."

"Well when you put it like that it sounds like we actually lead interesting lives," Janus drawls, the crowd laughing lightly.

"But through all of those adventures we've had, my favorite is loving you," Remus says, kneeling down. "And so, here we are on the exact spot where thousands have died, and I have to ask: Janus, snakey boi, king cobra of my mushy heart, will you marry me?"

The camera zooms in on Janus' face, tears running down his face, as he says, "Yes." Remus cheers and stands up, putting a gold infinity serpent ring on Janus' finger before raising it in the air like he's declaring a winner.

"He said yes!!!" Remus yells to the camera, the crowd cheering. Then Remus jumps off the platform and the video ends with the camera sideways on the ground, a laughing Janus still standing on the platform.

"Congratulations you guys!!" Patton says, hugging both of them, followed by various congratulations from the others.

"Can't believe Remus proposed first," Remy mutters, sliding Thomas ten bucks.

"Thank you Remy," Thomas laughs, taking the money. "And I think this was a great proposal, but how did you get a ring so fast Remus?"

"Oh uh-"

"I was planning on proposing to him in a week or two," Janus cuts in smoothly, "but he beat me to it."

"Well it's great to see you two so happy!" Emile chirps, still admiring Janus' ring. "When's the wedding going to be?"

"I don't know but it's gonna be in winter and it's going to be next year!" Remus declares, grabbing one of Patton's cookies.

"A winter wedding, well that does suit you two," Virgil jabs with a smile.

"Oh hush you," Janus laughs. "I remember you distinctly telling me you'd never marry a prince because princes were stuck up, arrogant men and yet here you are, married to a man with the last name Prince."

"And look at yu, marrying a duke. You were always a gold digger Jan," Virgil throws back, smirking.

"You got me, I am in fact only marrying Remus for his wealth," Janus laments. "I am oh so very poor, I must marry a duke while my best friend was forced to marry a prince."

"Woe is me," Virgil deadpans, Roman kissing his cheek.

They last twenty seconds before the entire room erupts into laughter, their twins falling off the couches from it. "You two are impossible," Logan chuckles.

"Aww, I think they're im-pasta!" Patton giggles, pulling out a giant bowl of pasta. "Because it's pasta night everyone!"

"Whoo!! Pasta!!" Roman and Remus yell, racing towards Patton.

The others just shake their heads and laugh again before following and heading to the table.

~~~

"What do you mean I have a mission?!" Janus yells at his phone.

"I mean," Honor sighs through the phone, "that your team has been assigned a new mission and you have to go."

"I have wedding I'm planning, I'm on off time!" Janus argues.

"I know and I'm sorry, but it's an important one, we need you."

"What's so goddamn important to take me off my personal time then?!"

"Potential World War Three."

A beat. Janus sighs heavily. "What's the mission?"

~~~

"There's more than we thought," Memory groans.

"Then we'll just have to avoid them," Janus says. "Wrath?"

"I can do it."

"Dragon, how's Doc doing?"

"We're all ready."

"Good. Let's get this done team."

~~~

"Deceit!"

"Doctor! Doctor come quick!"

"Oh my god."

"Memory I need you to call base, Dragon get us the hell out of here."

"Wrath what are we-"

"We're going to get him to base amd he's going to be fine, I swear it. Now go!"

~~~

"We're so sorry sir." The voice on the phone is disguised, Remus doesn't expect anything less, but it's weird to have a voice, even changed, to pin to Honor, Janus' boss. "The information we received was inaccurate, but your fiancé handled it well."

"Until he was shot," Remus adds.

"I- yes. His mission was completed though, and he has five months off completely."

"Should I say thank you?" He knows it's rude to say, but he's stared at his snakey in his hospital bed, bandages wrapped all over him, for days. Politeness was killed in a plane's engine once he saw the damage.

"Best not," she replies after a pause. "I wish you two a good marriage." She hangs up before he can response, that he knows what he would say. What do you say to a woman who ordered your fiancé to a mission when he was on leave, causing him to be shot three times, once in the shoulder and two in his leg?