Chapter 59

Trigger Warnings: reference to abusive childhoods, references to physically abused past selves

Word Count: 1464

Logan takes a deep breath, staring himself down in the mirror. "Ready?" Emile asks from behind him, smiling.

"Ready," Logan confirms, squaring his shoulders. He turns and hooks arms with Emile, the two walking out of the room with Roman trailing them. When they get in position, it only takes a nod to Roman for music to ring out as the doors open, and he finally gets to see everything. The tent's beautiful, white with shades of blue, and a simple white wooden arch in front of flowers, a minister already underneath the arch. He knows Patton's coming out after him, so when Remus starts walking out, throwing flowers at the guests with Roman following with a slightly pained smile, he doesn't glance back like he wishes he could and instead allows Emile to lead him out, smiling at all his friends and coworkers that came out to see his wedding.

There are soft gasps at his outfit, which paired with smiles and aw's, he assumes to be good gasps. Remus dumps the rest of his flowers on Thomas and Nico's heads then takes his spot on Logan's side of the arch, Roman sighing and whispering an apology to the now flower-covered couple before taking his spot next to Remus. Emile hugs him and whispers, "You got this," before moving to stand on Remus' other side. Then they turn to watch Patton come down and Logan swears he dies right then.

Because there's Patton, his Patton, his beautiful beautiful fiancé, in a puffy sky blue dress covered in sparkles, a band of dark blue ribbon wrapped around his waist, white embroidery covering the skirt's edges and pulling up towards the ribbon. Remy and Virgil pass him as they take their places, but Logan doesn't see them when all he can see is Patton on Janus' arm, blushing at him with his warm, love-filled eyes.

Janus smirks at him and whispers something to Patton before moving to take his place by the others, Patton taking Logan's outstretched hand and moving so they stand face to face in front of the arch, both blushing while also eying each other up.

"Dearly beloved guests, friends and family alike, we are gathered here today to celebrate the marriage of Patton Hearte and Logan Braine," the officiate says. "Before this frankly too cute couple take over, I do want to say a few words." She pauses, then smiles. "I do a lot of weddings, so I see a lot of couples. Sometimes they ae barely adults, all blushes and smiles. Other times they're older couples, ones that have been together for decades, who just move around each other with an ease that speaks for their love and the years they've stayed together. Sometimes there are couples who aren't loud about their love, but from the way they subconsciously lean into each other, glancing at the other before answering a group question, you can feel it. Others are always holding hands, pressing kisses to the other's face or hands, sampling food together, and everything they do tells you about their love. You two are the couple that everyone just senses the years you've been together, the ones where you may not always be loud about your love for the other, but it speaks for itself no matter what. And when I sat down with you to discuss the wedding and the vows, what you wanted me to say and give a bit more background on your relationship, I learned how hard it's been for you two. The lives you've lead, and how they always seemed to stay together, as friends, as a family, as boyfriends. And I think that really speaks for your love, how you've been together for so long, have loved each other so deeply, and I must say how proud I am to witness this beautiful union. And now," she laughs, "I'll let Patton take the stage."

"Awww that's so sweet of you!!" he says. "As for my big speech, I didn't really know what to say, and I was going to write it down, but Virgil said it didn't feel authentic and that I should just speak from the heart, so uh here goes nothing heh." He nervously tugs on one of his curls, then looks at Logan and takes a deep breath. "Logan, I've known you since we were eight years old. We've been friends for years, and a great tutor whenever I had problems in school," Patton giggles and Logan can feel his heart turning to mush. "And sure the years haven't been perfect, and we've both had to escape to the other's house waaaaay too much just to get some actual comfort, and sometimes our hangouts included patching up each other and our friends more than they should have, but we made it through. High school was terrifying, and we went so much, but look where we are now: we're getting married!" He can see the tears welling up in his fiancé's eyes. "So um, I guess want I want to say is that, I love you Logan. I've loved you for so long and I'll keep loving you for so much longer. We've been together through so much, it only feels right to go through the rest of our lives together." He sniffs as he smiles oh so brightly and if Logan's heart isn't already a puddle of goo then it definitely is now.

"Patton," he starts off, trying to remember what words are. "I know you and everyone else here expect me to pull out a speech out of my jacket," he pauses for the laughter and chuckles himself. "Yeah, I know I know. I fully intended to have one, even wrote it up and printed it too, but..." he pauses, looks directly at Patton, "no speech could ever summarize the love I hold for you. I had a childhood without much love, only rules and expectations, but then I met you, and Remus and Roman and Emile and Remy and Thomas and Janus and Virgil. And my eyes were opened to this whole other realm I had known about: love. Affection. Comfort. And none of our childhoods were good, well besides Thomas, congratulations for winning all the luck out of this family Thomas," Thomas laughs, "but you gave me a true family, people I could trust and rely on, people to love who love me back. And we've gone through so much, almost too much, but you were always there with a kind word and a hug if I was okay with it. I loved you so much for it, I didn't think you were real in the beginning. And now? Well, it's been quite a few years so I assume you're real," they laugh. "But I digress. Patton, I never want to let go because I love you so much and I can't promise our lives are going to be easy, but I can promise that we will live better lives than our childhoods and that I will forever love you."

The officiate blows her nose on a handkerchief (where did she get from?). "And that's exactly how sweet these two are," she coughs, fanning her eyes. "So let's get to the vows before we all start sobbing alright?" She clears her throat. "The rings please?" Roman and Virgil hand the rings to Logan and Patton. "Ahem, you two wrote your own vows, I believe?" They nod, Logan fingering Patton's band. "Then I'll let you two go."

Patton clears his throat and looks at Logan. "Right. Logan Braine, I swear to you that I will trust you and respect you for all our lives, and will always support you in everything you do. Everything I have is yours, and I swear to you that I will love you forever, until the all the stars fall from the sky. Will you take me as your husband?"

"Yes," Logan breathes, watching Patton slide the ring onto his finger. "Patton Hearte, I swear to you that I will trust you and respect you for all our lives, and will always support you in everything you do. Everything I have is yours, and I swear to you that I will love you forever, until the all the stars fall from the sky. Will you take me as your husband?"

"Yes!" Patton gasps, Logan sliding the ring onto his finger, hand shaking slightly from all the emotion swelling up in his chest.

"By the power invested in me by the United States Government, I now pronounce you partners for life. You may kiss the groom." Patton jumps into Logan's arms, lips slotting together like a key into a lock.