Chapter 16

Trigger Warnings: Murder case, murder, implied future sex via 'Netflix and Chill'.

Word Count: 1194

"A trip to Australia," Dee repeats, shocked.

"Yeah, it'll be for a week," Thomas says over the phone. "See the sights with some friends, go to a comic con a couple of us have been invited to, maybe shoot a music video."

"So a vacation," Remy sums up.

"Basically yeah."

"That's great Thomas!" Patton cheers. "I hope you have a good time!"

Chuckling, Thomas replies, "Me too Pat. The time difference is eighteen hours though, so we won't be able to talk a lot."

"As long as you text us regularly we'll be fine," Roman encourages. 

"Yeah and send me pics of the spiders there!" Virgil adds.

"Oooo, and the snakes to me," Dee comments. "They're so cool."

"And if you get a chance to see one, send me a picture of a platypus." It's dead silent on the phone call after Remus's odd request. 

"Um, why a platypus, Remus?" Thomas asks.

"Because they're weird ass animals and are venomous for no reason," he replies.

"True fact, they are one of a very small percentage of mammals that posses venom," Logan confirms.

"Well great. I'll send you guys pictures, try not to murder anyone while I'm gone okay?"

"We'll try our best," Emile says cheerfully.

"That's the best I'm getting," Thomas accepts. "Alright guys, I'll call you again before the plane leaves. Thanks for being supportive."

"Of course Thomas!" Emile speaks up. "This is important to you and we're happy you'll be happy. Go enjoy yourself!"

"Thanks Emile. Bye guys, love ya!"

They all chorus in with mixtures of "Bye Thomas!", "Love you too", "Enjoy your trip", and "Stay safe kiddo!"

The call ends.

— - —

The phone rings. Dee looks up from his tv show, pausing it before reaching for the phone. "Hello?"

"Mr. Remus King?" a clipped, professional voice asks.

"No, this is Devin Líar, his boyfriend. He goes by the last name Duke now."

"Ah. I thought this was his house phone?"

"We live together," Dee snips back.

"I assume Mr. Kin- Duke will be home soon then? I couldn't reach his office phone."

"Whatever you need to tell him you can tell me," Devin says, ignoring what the person asked.

A sigh, then. "Very well. Mr. Duke was in a murder case nine years ago, which has been investigated into recently by a news reporter, James Hollten. He has found some new evidence and as such has prompted the police to re-open the case. As such, Mr. Remus Duke is being summoned to appear in court to defend himself in this case. If you or him could get in touch with a Mr. Devin Hart, who is also being summoned, that would make it easier on the courts."

Shell-shocked, Dee has enough thought to ask, "When is he being summoned?"

"A week from now. This is just the Arraignment, where the accusation is read, lawyers are appointed or named, and the plea is filed. You'll make sure Mr. Duke arrives?"