Chapter 40

Trigger Warnings: brief mention of trauma, referenced bad fight, swearing

Word Count: 1067

"Alright, I think we have everything we want in this design now," Roman says, passing it to Virgil. "Check it over to make sure, but I think we're finally ready to have them start building!"

Virgil smiles at his gleeful fiancé, then down at the plans. Looking over it, then checking off the rooms and features they agreed on. "It looks great Romano," he finally says, pressing a kiss to Roman's cheek before starting to get up.

Roman beats him to that and sweeps him up into his arms, forcing Virgil to latch on to Roman as he spins them around the room. Virgil laughs at his spontaneous lover, used to this by now. He flaps his hands when he's really happy, Roman picks him up and twirls him around the room. It's their thing at this point. "I can't believe we're finally doing this!!" Roman cheers.

"We've lived together or in each other's houses for years Princey," Virgil giggles out, blushing as Roman's eyes almost form glittering stars, probably because of his laugh.

"So what, my Chemically Imbalanced Romance?" Roman says, pressing a kiss to his nose, making Virgil blush even more.

"So it's not that big of a deal," Virgil insists, pulling himself up a little to kiss Roman on the lips.

"But of course it's a big deal stormcloud!" Roman argues, gently letting Virgil stand up so they can talk face to face without looking down. "This is our own house! Built for us! It'll be our first house just for us, not something we rented or bought because we needed something. It's because we want it," he says, interlocking their fingers, "not because we need it."

Oh.

Oh.

"Roman," Virgil says, holding eye contact, "all of our houses and apartments, sure they were because we needed them, but I called them home because you were there. You, and our idiotic famiy of tramua and gayness. I understand that having a house for us is important, because it is. But I love you, Ro. Houses and apartments don't matter to me, you do."

Roman sniffs, tears brimming his eyes like crystals. "I love you too, Vee."

"Now c'mon, we gotta submit it to the builder person!" Virgil says, grabbing Roman's wrist and dragging him back over to the table.

~~~

"Virgil, what the actual fuck?" Janus asks, slamming the front door open.

"So you got my text?" Virgil asks from his couch, snacking on chicken nuggets.

"Got your text- bitch you told me you were pregnant!" Janus complains, dropping on to the other side of the couch and stealing a nugget. "And I know you're not, unless I missed a whole of shit going down?"

Virgil laughs. "Yeah, no. I'm not actually pregnant."

"No shit Sherlock," Janus grumbles, biting into the nugget. "So, what do you want that makes me need to bless you with my presence?"

"Well, Remy and Emile are off on their honeymoon-"

"-the Netherlands are rather nice this time of year, but not my thing to be honest-"

"-and you were on my list of people to talk with-"

"-I better be number one on your list of assassins otherwise we can't be friends anymore-"

"-of course you are- and so I wanted to ask you in person: will you walk me down the aisle?" Janus tenses up and Virgil almost takes it back but Janus' bottom lip is going white from how hard he's biting down on it and his eyes are watering. "Janus?"

"I'd love to," he squeaks out, obviously trying to not cry.

"J, you can cry." Immediately Janus shoves himself into Virgil's arms, shaking with silent tears.

"I just," his breath stutters as he inhales, "I never thought you'd ask- I mean I'm me and you're you and we hurt each other a lot back then and I know we made up but I love you spiderling and it just-" he stops, taking a deep breath, "it means a lot that you'd ask me."

"I love you too snakey," Virgil replies, hugging Janus tightly. "I know we both said stuff we didn't really mean, and I know how rough some of the years have been, but there's no one else I'd rather have to walk me down the aisle and give me away than you."

Janus sniffs and looks up. "You sure you don't want Remus to walk you down?"

Virgil rolls his eyes. "That rat demon's gonna be my Best Man, once I ask him and if he says yes."

"Oh, who are Roman's people?"

"The one walking him down is Patton, with Thomas as his Best Man."

"Ah, that makes sense. What's the theme of the wedding going to be?"

Virgil sighs heavily. "Roman wants it to be royalty, but I'm not sure if I would-"

"Virgil," Janus cuts in, "do you want to do it?"

"Yes?"

"Answer me with certainty."

"I want to do it, but-"

"No 'but's. Do you want to decorate a place to look like a castle, wearing obnoxiously nice clothing that makes you feel like a prince, and have a wedding like those fairytale weddings we used to read together?"

"Yes..."

"Then do it!" Janus encourages. "And don't worry about the money, you and Roman have plenty of money, so all you need to do is say yes."

"What if it's not what we like though? What if we look at it and we love it, but the day of the wedding it looks awful? What if-"

"What if nothing happens? What if it's everything you never dared to dream it'd be like? What if it goes well?" Janus counters. Virgil looks up at him and smiles.

"Alright."

~~~

"Wait wait wait, hold up,"Roman says. "You claimed my brother because you wanted him to be your Best Man?! Virge I was gonna ask him to walk me down the aisle!"

"Yeah? So? Now you can have Patton walk you down without guilt."

"That cannot be the only reason you took my brother, just so I don't feel guilt."

"Hmmmmm, you're right, I wanted my two longest friends up there with me, but it just so happens to work out in your favor as well."

Roman sighs, but kisses Virgil's hand. "Very well, as long as you swear it wasn't just for my sake."

"I swear Princey."