Chapter 44

Trigger Warnings: breakdowns in bathrooms, implied that Remus either had an eating disorder or was being starved (no answers yet kids, just take care), mention of sex, some swearing, one joke about incest

Word Count: 1080

Virgil is most definitely not crying on Janus' shoulder. Not at all happening. Not. Happening. The water leaking out of his eyes doesn't mean a thing. Neither does the wet spot growing on Janus' shoulder mean anything.

"Shhh, it's okay spiderling, let it out darling," Janus whispers, Virgil letting out a choked sob as Remus wails next to him.

"You- and, and the, the, the speech-" he blubbers out, voice shaky as he cries.

"Yeah that was like, extremely sappy JJ," Remus sniffs, also not crying on Janus. This is always how they end up, Janus hugging the two crying ones to him while he rubs shapes into their backs. Though sometimes they cried in alleyways instead of bathroom floors.

"Oh hush love, you enjoyed it," Janus replies, rubbing circles on their backs. "Now, dry those eyes, you don't want to miss the first dance do you?"

Virgil sniffs, leaning back slightly so he can wipe away his not tears and messing up his makeup. "Right, yeah, let me just go out there with spotty foundation and messed up eyeshadow Dee, great idea." His sarcasm doesn't hit the best when his voice cracks a little and he definitely doesn't have tear tracks going down his cheeks. Janus rolls his eyes anyway and holds up a red bag with a gold crown on it. Roman's emergency makeup bag, of course he gave it to Janus. Honestly he's just surprised he managed to hide that he had it, but Janus always seems to have a dozen hidden pockets no matter what.

"Your husband gave me this in case something happened, so we're gonna fix you up and then you can go out."

"Of course he did," Virgil mutters, sniffing again. "And hey, you're not my mom."

"Hun, I practically mothered you for half our life, I have every right to tell you to go out and have fun whenever I feel like it."

"Whatever. Remus, shouldn't you be with Roman, terrorizing the guests?"

"Ha! And miss the chance to have a cry session with my darkies again? No way José!"

"I know this may surprise you, but my name isn't José, love," Janus sighs as Virgil gets off of the cuddle pile they made on the bathroom floor. Cleaner than some of the other bathrooms they've cried in, but not what he would call hospital or Logan clean. "Now come on, both of you need to fix up a bit." Virgil leans up against the counter of sinks as Remus refuses to move, prompting Janus to sigh and pick him up, placing him on the counter next to Virgil.

It reminds him of all those times in dirty bathrooms, school bathrooms where one of them had an attack, bar bathrooms when they're breaking after too much alcohol, church bathrooms they escaped to after having enough of being yelled at. Always patching each other up, drying the tears, redoing makeup when their breaths are finally even. Janus picking up Remus like he weighed nothing, which, considering when most of their breakdowns happen, wasn't too far off the mark. Remus or Janus would pick him up if he wouldn't get up, and they'd work together to get Janus up, because while not heavy, he kept dozens of stuff in his pockets which added to his weight.

"Alright Vee, look at me," Janus prompts as Remus peers over his shoulder. "It's not terrible."

"Yeah, the long eyeshadow lines makes you look goth!"

Virgil sighs. "I'm emo, not goth. Think you can clean it up Dee?"

"Virgil, I'm better than Roman, of fucking course I can," Janus snaps without heat. "Remus love, pass me the bag or work on your own makeup, don't even try."

Remus, who was about to start biting Janus' neck, also a usual occurrence, sighs and passes him the bag. "Fiiiine, but you owe me."

"Whatever you want Octy," Janus hums, getting to work immediately.

"Whatever I want? Like, right now or-"

"As in, whatever you want, when we get home."

"Fuck. Ah well, guess you're not getting the secrets of our sex life yet spider legs!"

"Trust me trash rat, I never want to know," Virgil retorts, Janus hissing at him for moving.

"Hold still, I'm good but I'm not 'can-do-it-as-you-move-your-mouth' good!" Virgil stills and lets Janus start on his eyeshadow.

"Ooo, you know who's good with their mouth?" Remus giggles.

"Clearly it's Roman, if Virgil married him," Janus quips.

"I was gonna say you but-" Virgil can hear Janus elbowing Remus, which only causes Remus to cackle as a brush clatters to what's hopefully the counter. "Meanie."

"Rude," Janus shoots back.

"Snake."

"Octopus."

"Bitch."

"Bastard."

"Serial killer."

"Partner in serial killing."

"Ugh can you guys, like, not flirt while I'm here?" Virgil asks, having dealt with this happening since the three meet. The two always flirted or teased or whatever their name calling is for as long as Virgil's known them, it's like their thing, just like him and Roman's banter. But Janus and Remus' is just plain weird.

"Hmm, no," Remus says. "Bank robber."

"Kidnapper."

"Psychopath."

"Sociopath."

"Nice one."

"Thank you love." Janus switches to Virgil's other eye and he begs time to move faster. "Demon."

"Lamia."

"Zeus."

"If you're calling me a fuckboy, I agree. Hades."

"Ooo, calling me your brother? I thought that was incest dear."

"What can I say, my kinks follow you."

"Hmm, nice one love. Virgil you're good to go."

"Oh thank God," Virgil says, opening his eyes. Quick glance to the mirror confirms that he looks good as new. "Right, I'm out. Enjoy the party, don't do anything over PG-13, and no sex in the bathroom," he say as he brushes off his clothes and walks out.

Outside the bathroom, everyone seems to be eating and chatting, Roman talking with Emile and Remy. He looks happy, laughing and gesturing wildly with his hands. Virgil walks over to him. "Hey."

"Hey!" He jumps up. "Sorry fives, but I've got a ten to talk to," he says before pulling Virgil back to their table. "You okay? After Janus' speech you kinda..."

"I'm okay, Janus and Remus are finishing their makeup," Virgil replies. "What'd I miss?"

"Not much, our first dance is coming up though."

"Looking forward to it Princey."