Chapter 38

Trigger Warnings: implied bad home life for Remus and Logan, lots of swearing from Remus

Word Count: 1038

"Speeches!" Roman cheers, raising a glass. Virgil laughs and joins in, smiling at his fiancé.

"Hear hear!" Remy cheers from the front table, Emile laughing next to him.

Remus gets up and takes the microphone. "Alright bitches! Remy is the bitchiest bitch I've ever had the pleasure to meet, and Emile's like this angel so I have no idea how these two got together but let me tell ya it's been a great time watching them pining for who knows how long."

"Hey!" Emile protests as everyone else laughs in agreement.

"Shhhhh," Remus giggles. "It's the truth, ask any of us. You two have been pining for a hell of a long time- don't argue with me on this!" he adds when Remy opens his mouth to interrupt. "I've known Remy since he was just a small little punk thing, not even addicted to caffeine yet. Oh those were the good days, I'd just discovered cursing and in sauntered into the classroom in his mini leather jacket and sunglasses, Remington, the punkiest six year old you'll ever meet."

"YOU SWORE TO NEVER SAY THAT NAME!" Remy yells. Virgil rolls his eyes. Remy's hated his full name since he was born and Remus has loved to use it to poke fun wherever he can ruin a good moment.

"And now look at him!" Remus says, ignoring Remy's yelling. "A doctor! Still wearing leather but at least he can clean up a bit more now. And Emile, this cute little puffball who knew every cartoon by heart! Super empathetic, adorable, and he walks up to Remy, who looks like the complete opposite of him may I add, and they just, become friends! And I could go on and on about the stuff they got up to, but I wanna mention the first they kissed."

"Remus!" Emile hisses, blushing. "No one needs to know about that!"

"Dude everyone's gotta hear it."

"No they don't!" Emile insists.

"So anyways, I was at Remy's house because well, ya know, when Emile comes rushing out of the room, his face red as blood, and he drops on the couch next to me nd screams into a pillow."

"Remus!!"

"-and naturally I ask if he and Remy fucked yet, which apparently they hadn't sadly."

"Dude!"

"-be quiet Remy!- Anyway so I ask him what happened if they didn't fuck and so he mumbles a bunch through the pillow and basically he had accidentally said that Remy looked beautiful and like, immediately ran out of the room." He pauses as snickers fill the room. "I know right?! So of course I tell Emile to wait there and I go up to see what's going on with Remy. And he's just, laying on his bed, looking like he just died! And he says, and I quote, 'my crush just said I look beautiful and ran out, what the hell am I supposed to do Remus?' So of course I go back down and drag Emile up the stairs, then I shove them onto the bed and watch the awkward confession and then they kissed." Remus is grinning ear to ear as Emile buries his face into his husband's chest.

"Thanks Remus," Remy drawls, a bit of pink dusting his checks but not as bad as Emile's face.

"No prob R.E.M.!"

"Not even my name."

Remus high-fives Logan on his way down, so Logan stands up and goes to the podium. "As none of you will be surprised, I memorized my speech," he says, laughing a little. "Emile, Remy, I have known you since we were eight, when I and my parents had moved to a new house in a new city for their work. There, at that new school, was where I first made friends. I met you two, and Remus and Roman, Thomas, and the love of my life. But it was Emile who first saw me, that first day of school. You were the one to reach out to me and ask me to play with you and your friends, if it were not for you there is not doubt in my mind that I would not have become who I am today. So it is with great honor that I accepted your ask that I be your best man today." There are tears in his eyes as he smiles. Virgil knows how much this family means to Logan but damn, he's almost got Virgil crying and ruining his eyeliner! "After all, I have been able to be your friend for all these years, watching you two as your relationship changed over the years, from friends to lovers, and now husbands. I know just how much you have had to go through to get here, how much this means to you two to be here today with all of us," he gestures at everyone at the tables, "here as well. And I am so gratefully that I am here, with you. I wish you both the happiest of marriages, and if the past predicts the future, it may get difficult but I know you two can overcome it together."

By the end of his speech, Virgil is blinking back tears. Logan is not an emotional person, his parents made sure of that no matter how hard they have tried, but there's a glint of tear tracts on his cheeks when he hugs Emile and Remy, then takes his seat. Makes sense, given how much Emile means to Logan. Those two have always had a bond, often underscored due to the many, many flamboyant bonds in the family, but strong nonetheless.

"Alright alright," Joan says from the music area. Remy swore they had booked a DJ person, but apparently they canceled about a week ago due to family stuff. So, instead of trying to book a new DJ on short notice, Emile had asked Joan to do it for them. The playlist was already made, so they wouldn't miss anything, they just had to start it and take control once in a while. "Emile, Remy, time to hit the dance floor with your first dance as married men!"