Chapter 37

Trigger Warnings: mentioned alcoholic mom, mentioned depression, mentioned anxiety, reference to past suicide attempt, mentioned past self harm

Word Count: 1176

"That sounds highly suspicious," Emile says.

Roman shrugs. "Whatever." He digs through his bag, pulling out foundation. "Here, I brought your foundation so I'll just layer it on more-"

"Wait, how do you know my foundation?"

"Honey, I know everyone's foundation. I'm gay, it's my job."

"That doesn't-"

"Shhhh." Roman starts applying it on Emile, forcing him to be quiet. "Now, we need to be quick about this, so that should do it." He does a once over, then smiles. "Hey Logan you were right."

"Of course I am," Logan retorts.

"What're you right about?" Emile asks.

"I theorized that if Roman pretended to put makeup on you, your blush would fade away."

"And right on time too," Patton says, peeking through the doors. "Looks like they're starting any minute now."

"Well I'd better get to my seat then!" Roman says, leaving.

Emile opens his mouth to start breathing Logan, but then he hears the wedding music start up. Patton and Logan open the doors and Eve gently tugs him forward, so he can watch his soon-to-be-husband walk down the aisle, arm and arm with Thomas.

Virgil and Remus move to stand to the one side, then Thomas hugs Remy and moves to take his seat next to Joan. Then Remy turns to face the audience and Emile forgets how to breathe. He's wearing a coffee brown jacket, almost the same color as his leather jacket, a silver vest, and dark black pants. His shirt is a silky white, off set by his black tie.

Logan and Patton link arms and begin to walk down the aisle, Eve nudging him so he can grab her arm. She laughs quietly as she leads him, Emile not able to take his eyes off of Remy.

Remy, whose eyes are practically glowing as he watches them walk, doesn't break eye contact with him. Logan and Patton move to stand to the side, and Emile break contact for a moment with Remy to hug Eve tightly. "Go marry that punk," she whispers with a smile, before taking her seat next to Thomas. And Emile takes just three more steps forward, to stand in front of Remy.

"Garnet?" he whispers to him, a smile replacing the usual smirk.

"Garnet," Emile confirms. "You like it?"

"I think you look incredible," he whispers, pure love in every word.

Emile blushes. "Thank you."

The officiant clears their throat. "Ladies, gentlemen, and everyone in between, we are gathered here today to celebrate the union of Doctor Remington-" he can hear Remus snort "Starbuck and Doctor Emile Picani. Through terrible childhoods and horrific events, they've stuck together as friends, then lovers, and now to-be-weds. But I'll let them talk about that."

"Remy," Emile says.

"Emile."

"We've had a crazy life, huh?"

Remy laughs. "Yeah, pretty wild for less than thirty years."

"Absentee mom."

"Alcoholic mom."

"Attempting suicide."

"Self harm."

"Mild anxiety and depression."

"Insomnia and depression."

"Sometimes it seems like our lives were never going to get better. But, we kept going. College was a nightmare, but we made it through. And look at us now." Emile giggles a little. "I mean, we're both doctors, something I never thought we'd both get into, and we're getting married. Sometimes I feel like this is a dream, yet here we are."

"Emile, I never thought I'd make it this far. The stakes were against me from the start and everything kept going wrong. But, you were always there for me. We stuck it out, we got the help we needed, and here we are now. I always said I'd have to marry you to keep you from leaving, so here's me fulfilling that now." He chuckles nervously, biting his lip. "But in all seriousness, Emile, you are one of the best things that ever happened to me and I don't have the words to describe hope much this means to me, how much you mean to me."

"Beautiful," the officiate says. "Now, Doctor Starbuck, do you enter this marriage of your own free will?"

"Yes."

"And do you, Doctor Picani, enter this marriage willingly?"

"Yes."

"Then, may we have the rings?" Emiel turns to Logan, who hands him Remy's ring. He turns back to Remy, who's holding his ring. "Doctor Starbuck, repeat after me. I, your name, take you, Doctor Emile Picani."

"I, Doctor Remington Starbuck, take you, Doctor Emile Picani, as my partner for life. Your happiness will be my happiness, your sorrow will be my sorrow. I will support you in all you do, I will listen when you speak and I will comfort you when you are in pain. My home shall be your home, my food will be your food, my family become your family. Anywhere you go, I shall follow. I swear to love you all my life, today and on every other day forever and forever." Emile can see tears brimming in Remy's eyes, matching the ones he knows are welling up in his own, as Remy slides the gold band on to his finger.

"And Doctor Picani, repeat after me."

"I, Doctor Emile Picani, take you, Doctor Remington Starbuck, as my partner for life. Your happiness will be my happiness, your sorrow will be my sorrow. I will support you in all you do, I will listen when you speak and I will comfort you when you are in pain. My home shall be your home, my food will be your food, my family become your family. Anywhere you go, I shall follow. I swear to love you all my life, today and on every other day forever and forever." His breath is shaky as he slides the silver band on to Remy's finger. It feels as if his whole body is vibrating with pure love.

"Doctor Starbuck, do you take this man, to have and to hold, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do."

"Doctor Picani, do you take this man, to have and to hold, for as long as you both shall live?"

"I do," Emile whispers, tear falling down as he smiles.

"Then, by the power invested in me by the United States Government, I happily pronounce you, partners for life. You may kiss."

Emile launches himself at Remy, who catches him with a smile as they kiss.

It's as if time stops. Remy's lips taste like caramel, smooth and sweet with just a hint of the bitterness of coffee. He wishes this moment would never end, wishes this could be his eternity, just kissing his husband forever.

Then the world shifts and the sound's back and he can hear his family cheering all around him. They part, leaning their foreheads together.

"Well, Dr. Picani?" Remy asks, smiling. "Shall we begin our new lives?"

"I think we should, Dr. Picani," Emile replies.

As one, they turn and rush down the aisle, laughing as they burst through the doors and move to the reception hall.