Chapter 20

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR OVER 1K VIEWS!!!

Trigger Warnings: court case, compulsive lying, intrusive thoughts

Word Count: 1116

"Well, because you love him," Patton says after a while. "And you know, we all know, how hard it's been on Remus and how much he loves actually having a family, so it made sense for you two to have a day long date on a-" he swallows thickly, "a painful day."

"Thanks Pat," Dee whispers, hugging his twin.

"Anytime Dee."

~~~

"Come here little bro," Roman says, wrapping Remus in a tight hug.

"Ro..."

"Shh Re, just let it happen."

Remus sighs, then reciprocates the hug, hugging as hard as he can. 

"There you go Re, feel better?"

"Yeah," Remus mumbles from where he buried his head in Roman's shoulder.

"Wanna talk it out?"

"Not really."

"Okay."

They stand like that for a couple minutes before Remus withdraws and takes a step back. "It's just..."

"Go on," Roman prompts gently, "I'm all ears."

Remus snorts. "That's be weird to see. It's just, I know we have a bad defense. You know us Ro, two punk kids whose friend got beaten up and then that threw their whole group into suicidal or self harming thoughts. I nearly died..."

"Still haunts me to this day," Roman mutters under his breath.

"And then a year later the one suspect they had in the case turns up dead, conveniently when the two most violent-looking kids happen to have been out on a date in the woods! I know we're innocent, but we can't exactly prove that can we?"

"No, but we do know when you guys left and when you came back," Roman reassures. "You have the best lawyer, don't tell Logan that. You also have the argument on how exactly two seventeen year olds were able to deflate lungs."

Remus laughs. "I guess so. Hey, you planning anything for you and Virgil's anniversary?"

Nervously smiling, Roman admits, "Yeah."

"Ooo, whatcha planning?"

"Um... asking him to marry me..?"

For a solid ten seconds Remus just stares. Then he explodes. "AND YOU NEVER TOLD ME?!?"

"Well I was but then this came up and it kinda became more important..."

"Pshh, trial shhmial, I'm your twin I need to know these things!!"

"I'm sorry!"

"Yeah yeah, well I better be your best man at the wedding."

Roman laughs. "I wouldn't have anyone else."

They chat for a bit more, Remus digging for details, before the twins go back inside the court house and join the other two.

"Hey guys, hope I'm not late!" Thomas bursts into the waiting room, rushing over to his friends.

"You are," Dee says comfortingly before freezing up. "Didn't I just...?"

Thomas nods in confirmation. "That bad?" he asks Patton and the other two.

"Yep," Patton replies, hugging his twin in a side hug.

"Don't worry Dee, it'll be fine." Thomas takes a seat next to Roman, who's next to Remus who's next to Dee who's next to Patton. "How'd you two get here so early?" he asks Roman.

"Jury duty for this trial apparently," Roman answers. "Both me and Patton were called up and then we saw Logan and the judge let us go pretty quickly."

Thomas chuckles. "Only you two would get called up for a case about your twins and lead by Patton's boyfriend."

"Yeah, the others should be here in the next twenty minutes."

Patton and Remus start up a conversation with Dee about his snake, Kaa, while Roman and Thomas chat about things in the acting industry.

"By the way, I'm still insulted you guys didn't tell me about this until I got back," Thomas casually drops.

"Thomas..."

"We didn't want to ruin your vacation!"

"We didn't think it was that important..."

"I'm sorry, I asked that no one tell you until we were sure this had to go through."

"Dee, Rem, it's okay. Look, it hurt that you guys didn't tell me, but I do understand your point of view and I'm glad you at least told me before the trial started. C'mon, hug?"

"Hug!" Remus jumps on Thomas, Dee following suit in a more dignified manner. 

"Thank you Thomas," the snake lover whispers. "For sticking with us."

"You're Ohana, Dee, Rem." He pulls back slightly so he can look the two in the eye. "Family means-"

"-no one gets left behind," they finish together. 

Soon after that, Virgil and Remy show up.

"Roman I swear to God if you skipped out on jury duty I'll—"

"I swear I didn't skip out!" Roman interrupts. "We were called for our case, and that's a conflict of interest!"

Virgil stares his boyfriend down, Roman nervously waiting for him to respond. After a good minute or two of silence, Virgil rolls his eyes and relaxes his stance. "Fine, I believe you Princey."

Roman cheers and tackles Virgil, who nearly falls, Roman sweeping him into his arms at the last second. "Aww, you still falling for me after all these years?"

Virgil scoffs. "Only in your dreams Princey." 

"Then it must be so because every moment with you is a dream."

His boyfriend stares at him in shock and then surges up, capturing his lips in a soft kiss.

"Not gonna lie that was really smooth Roman," Emile comments, moving from his spot at the doorway of the waiting room. Remy stands up and kisses his fiancé's check before pulling him down to sit on his lap.

All too soon an intern comes in. "Misters Remus Duke and Devin Líar? It's time." The whole group stands up, some taking shaky breathes and others playing with their hands nervously, while the well trained actors pull on their masks and pretend to be calm. "Um, it's just the two, sirs."

"Actually we're family and also witnesses so we're coming too," Emile gently corrects.

"Ah! Sorry, this way." The intern leads the group into the courtroom Roman and Patton were in previously. "Your honor, Misters Remus Duke and Devin Líar, along with family," they introduce after closing the doors. 

"Thank you Miss Briar," the Judge says. "Misters Remus Duke and Devin Líar, and family, I am Judge Laura Bidson, she/her pronouns. Defendants, take your place with your lawyer. Family, take a seat at the benches in the back." They do so, Patton hugging both men before letting Emile and Remy guide him down to a seat. Roman whispers words of encouragement to his twin while Virgil hugs his older-brother-figure before they follow the others. Thomas whispers a reminder that he'll always be there for them before following the rest of his family.

"Alright, I call this case," the Judge bangs her gravel, "to begin. Mr. Linel, your opening statement?"