Chapter 25 ◈ Ascent to Vesuvius

A few hours later, Zeus woke me up from my deep sleep and told me that our plane just landed at Naples International Airport

We didn't waste a second and immediately went out of the airport. Outside, a person in shades was already waiting for us holding a large sign that said 'Poseidon Olympian'. Other than his sunglasses, he wore a plain white shirt and khaki shorts.

"There's our ride." Poseidon waved to him, and the man waved back. "Let's go."

With our bags at hand, the four of us headed to the man in sunglasses, who gave us a wide enthusiastic smile.

"Salve, my friends. Welcome to Naples!" he said in a thick Italian accent. "I'm Giovanni Mazza, your tour guide." He turned to Poseidon and shook his hand. "You must be Poseidon. We have talked on the phone, yes?"

"Yes, we have," he said, then gestured at us. "Giovanni, these are my younger siblings, Zeus and Athena, and our friend, Amelia. We're here to visit Pompeii and Mount Vesuvius for group research in our class."

Group research? Is that what he got as an excuse?

"Of course, of course! Very nice!" He shook hands with Athena and Zeus, his cheerful attitude never wavering. When he got to me, his face faltered for a second before smiling again and continued to shake my hand, this grip a little tighter than it's supposed to be.

It hurt a bit, but other than that, it felt weird.

Giovanni motioned us to follow him. "There was no close parking space, so I parked my van a bit far away from here. Mi scusi for the inconvenience."

"It's okay. We can handle it," Zeus said, who was holding a heavy bag filled with our weapons, including my retractable staff.

How we were able to carry them to the airport was quite easy. Since we rode a private plane here, we didn't have to pass through the normal security measures of the airport, which was very convenient and kinda relieving. I don't know what we will do if we got caught smuggling real weaponry.

Anyway, we walked behind Giovanni and Poseidon, who were talking about our upcoming 'tour'. It was already afternoon when we got there, the hot sun shining above our heads as we walked.

I began to sweat, but we eventually got to Giovanni's black van which thankfully had air conditioning just like in the plane. I sighed in relief on my seat as I let the cool refreshing air hit my sweaty face.

Giovanni sat in the driver's seat. "Okay. Which one of you has not come here before?"

All of us raised our hands.

"Ah, then it is my honor to be the first one to show you around my beautiful city!" he said. "I have a list of good places for you to see. First will be the—"

"Your plan sounds fantastic, Giovanni, but no," Athena interrupted, lowering her hand. "We have an important agenda, so it'll be wonderful if you save the tour for later."