Chapter 32 ◈ The Missing and the Lost

I barely had eight hours of sleep before the rays of the sun washed over my face, waking me up

I barely had eight hours of sleep before the rays of the sun washed over my face, waking me up. Groaning, I pulled up my blanket to shield my eyes from the bright light.

"Amelia, wake up." A hand landed on the side of my pillow and pulled it away swiftly. My head thunked on the bed.

I peeked at my roommate with tired eyes. "But I want to sleep. . ."

Athena took off my blanket, exposing me in my plain pajamas. "As much as I want to disagree with my mother, I don't want you to start whining about how fed up you are with catching up with things. Get your lazy ass out of the bed."

I groaned again. She's right. As much as I wanted to sleep more, I had to catch up with my classes like Rhea said. I don't want to go through the same exhausting catching-up-of-classes cycle all over again.

Slapping my face awake, I stood up from my bed and did my usual morning routine of freshening myself up, but at a much slower pace. I eventually finished and went out of the dorm, leaving Athena to herself. I glanced at the clock hanging in the dorm lobby as I passed by.

Oh great. There's ten minutes left before the first period starts. I don't have the time to stop by the dining hall. Maybe I'll buy a bite on the go then.

And I did. As I munched on my egg sandwich while walking, the image of Pierre suddenly popped in my head. That thought almost got me choking on my food.

Shoot. What am I going to tell him this time? I left him alone in the library just like that, even though I made up some stupid excuse. I think if I made another one in front of him later, maybe he won't believe me and start getting suspicious. If he isn't already.

What if. . . I told him the truth?

Wait, no! That's definitely out of the question! But I don't want to lie to him again. I'm not being a good friend and person by doing that.

Maybe I should tell him a part of the truth instead! By leaving out the unbelievable parts, he shouldn't get fishy about me. That'll be much easier!

I hope.

Soon enough, I arrived in my classroom as the bell rang. I scanned the room and there he was, sitting on his usual seat in the middle of the room.

I was about to step in when I noticed something weird about him. As I looked closer at where he was, the aura surrounding him felt. . . gloomy. While he hunched on his seat, some of my classmates avoided walking or sitting near him, as if he had gotten the plague. A dark hoodie hid almost half of his face, making him look even more menacing.

Is he okay?

Pierre glanced up. I froze in my place. Instead of looking at me oddly, his face lightened up.

"Amelia!" He stood up, his hoodie falling down.

I smiled awkwardly. "H-hey, what's up?"

"Where have you been?" He asked. "It's been, like, three days? What happened to you?"